1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory question

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the torsion subgroup T of an abelian group G is a normal subgroup of G, and that G/T is torsion free.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The second part of this exercise makes absolutely no sense to me. We know nothing about G, so why is there any reason that the nonidentity elements of G/T would all have infinite order. G could even be finite. Is the statement of the question correct? Should G be a torsion free group?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    I think G has to be finitely generated. But I could be mistaken.

Edit: Never mind. I'm wrong.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  4. Jan 21, 2008 #3
    If G is abelian every subgroup is normal. I assume that you mainly are trying to show that it is a subgroup.

So, if you have two elements of finite order is their product of finite order, and is the inverse of such an element of finite order? If so they form a subgroup of G.

There's nothing wrong with the statment. As Mystic998 points out, if G is finite then T = G, so that G/T = (e). It doesn't violate the definition of torsion-free.
  5. Jan 21, 2008 #4
    Oh, if G is finite, I think G = T and G/T is torsion free trivially.

Sorry about all the replies. I'm thinking about a lot of different problems at once, and my brain is kind of jumping from topic to topic.
  6. Jan 21, 2008 #5
    Umm...how do you know that T=G if G is finite? 2 Z_10 is a torsion subgroup of the abelian group Z_10, but 2 Z_10 is not equal to Z_10.
  7. Jan 21, 2008 #6
    As I recall the definition of the torsion subgroup is the set of all elements that have finite order. If G is finite, all elements have finite order so G = T. What's your definition?

Also, I don't know what you mean by "a" torsion subgroup. According to the defintion above (if it's what you're using) the torsion subgroup is unique.
  8. Jan 21, 2008 #7
    Well, I could see it being a torsion Z-submodule or something. But I'm pretty sure the definition of the torsion subgroup of an abelian group G is the torsion submodule of G considered as a Z-module, which means you take all the elements that can be multiplied by a nonzero element of the integers to get zero.
  9. Jan 21, 2008 #8
    My book contains the following sentence:

"A torsion group is a group all of whose elements have finite order."

By that definition 2 Z_10 is a torsion subgroup of Z_10.

EDIT: I see now. The term "torsion subgroup" is not merely a subgroup that is torsion, but is defined as the set of all elements of G that have finite order.
  10. Jan 21, 2008 #9
    It's a torsion group that's a subgroup of Z_10. But it's not the torsion subgroup of Z_10.
  11. Jan 21, 2008 #10
    Right. So any abelian group has a unique torsion subgroup (assuming it's a subgroup, which they are asking you to show).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?