1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Theory Question

1. Nov 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine all the subgroups of (A,x_85) justify.
    where A = {1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 43, 64}.

3. The attempt at a solution
    To determine all of the subgroups of A, we find the distinct subgroups of A.
    <1> = {1}
    <2> = {1,2,4..} and so on?
    <4> = ...

is this true? are there any other possible subgroups, i know i havnt posted my full solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so you're dealing with a group of integers under multiplication mod 85. I think you should fill in the ...'s before anyone can figure out whether you have all of the subgroups.

4. Nov 10, 2014 #3
    <1> = {1}
    <2> = {1,2,4, 8,16,32,43,64}
    <4> = {4,16,64,1}
    <8> = {1,2,4, 8,16,32,43,64}
    <16> = {16,1}

Them are all the distinct subgroups of the group. for example. <2> = <43> .

5. Nov 10, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

<2> and <8> aren't really distinct, are they? There are only four distinct subgroups. And I'm not sure what you are supposed to supply for justification. In a general group a subgroup might have more than one generator. But do you know what a cyclic group is?

6. Nov 11, 2014 #5
    Yes. A cyclic group is a group with order n which contains an element of order n. Or better still a cyclic group is a group which contains an element that generates the group. 2 and 8 are not distinct! Silly me!

I can't think of any other subgroups. I think I may have to show that <2> = <8> = <43> and so on?

7. Nov 11, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a theorem that if you have a cyclic group of order n then there is exactly one subgroup for each divisor of n. Since the four divisors of 8 are 1,2,4,8 then once you find four subgroups you know you are done.

8. Nov 11, 2014 #7
    I am aware of this theorem!
    Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted