1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Theory (Sylow)

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    1. Let G be a fintie group whose order is divisible by a prime p. Assume that (ab)^p = a^p.b^p for all a,b in G. Show that the p-Sylow subgruop of G is normal in G.

2. Find the number of Abelian groups of order 432.

3. Let G be a group of order 36 with a subgroup H of order 9. Show that H is normal in G.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

basukinjal, please stop deleting the posting template that appears when you start a new thread in the homework help forum. You must use it, and you must fill in the third section, which is entitled "Attempt at a solution." If you don't try the problem, we won't help you. Those are the rules that you agreed to upon registration.

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    ok. Sorry for that, here are my attempts.

1. Since (ab)^p = a^p.b^p, i tried to construct a homomorphism phi, such that phi(x) = x^p. Then the kernel for this would not be just e since p | o(G) thus, this is not a isomorphism.. and i got stuck there after.

2. 432= 2^4*3^3. So i tried to construct the 2-sylow subgroup and the 3-sylow subgroup, but in that case no. of 3- sylow subgroups = 1 + 3k which must divide 16. thus there can be 1,4 or 16 sylow 3-subgroups, similarly, for 2-sylow subgroups there must be 1,3,9 or 27 sylow 2-subgruops... what then??

3. If we can prove that H is the only sylow 3-subgroup we are done. No. of sylow 3-subgroups are 1+3k which must divide 4. if 1, my problem is solved. otherwise there can be 4 sylow 3- subgroups. we have to show that this cannot be the case. So N(P) where P is any sylow 3-subgroup has index 4. i also noted the fact that o(G)=36 does not divide i(N(P))!, thus there must be a non trivial normal subgroup in N. But then i cannot prove that H has to be normal.

Please help

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2 doesn't really look like a Sylow subgroup question; have you done anything regarding the decomposition of Abelian groups into a direct product of cyclic groups?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook