Solving Group Theory Problems: Sylow, Abelian, and Order 36

In summary, the conversation discusses topics in group theory, specifically the properties of finite groups and the number of Abelian groups of a given order. It also touches on the concept of normal subgroups. The first part shows that the p-Sylow subgroup of a group G is normal if (ab)^p = a^p.b^p for all a,b in G. The second part asks to find the number of Abelian groups of order 432, while the third part deals with showing that a subgroup of order 9 is normal in a group of order 36. The attempts at solving these problems involve constructing homomorphisms and considering the decomposition of Abelian groups into a direct product of cyclic groups.
basukinjal
1. Let G be a fintie group whose order is divisible by a prime p. Assume that (ab)^p = a^p.b^p for all a,b in G. Show that the p-Sylow subgruop of G is normal in G.

2. Find the number of Abelian groups of order 432.

3. Let G be a group of order 36 with a subgroup H of order 9. Show that H is normal in G.

Physics news on Phys.org
basukinjal, please stop deleting the posting template that appears when you start a new thread in the homework help forum. You must use it, and you must fill in the third section, which is entitled "Attempt at a solution." If you don't try the problem, we won't help you. Those are the rules that you agreed to upon registration.

ok. Sorry for that, here are my attempts.

1. Since (ab)^p = a^p.b^p, i tried to construct a homomorphism phi, such that phi(x) = x^p. Then the kernel for this would not be just e since p | o(G) thus, this is not a isomorphism.. and i got stuck there after.

2. 432= 2^4*3^3. So i tried to construct the 2-sylow subgroup and the 3-sylow subgroup, but in that case no. of 3- sylow subgroups = 1 + 3k which must divide 16. thus there can be 1,4 or 16 sylow 3-subgroups, similarly, for 2-sylow subgroups there must be 1,3,9 or 27 sylow 2-subgruops... what then??

3. If we can prove that H is the only sylow 3-subgroup we are done. No. of sylow 3-subgroups are 1+3k which must divide 4. if 1, my problem is solved. otherwise there can be 4 sylow 3- subgroups. we have to show that this cannot be the case. So N(P) where P is any sylow 3-subgroup has index 4. i also noted the fact that o(G)=36 does not divide i(N(P))!, thus there must be a non trivial normal subgroup in N. But then i cannot prove that H has to be normal.

Please help

2 doesn't really look like a Sylow subgroup question; have you done anything regarding the decomposition of Abelian groups into a direct product of cyclic groups?

1. What is Group Theory?

Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of groups, which are mathematical structures that consist of a set of elements and an operation that combines any two elements to produce a third element. It has applications in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and computer science.

2. What is a Sylow subgroup?

A Sylow subgroup is a subgroup of a finite group that has a prime power order and is maximal with respect to this property. It plays a crucial role in the study of finite groups and their structure.

3. What is an Abelian group?

An Abelian group, also known as a commutative group, is a group in which the order of the elements does not affect the result of the group operation. This means that for any two elements in the group, the result of combining them is the same regardless of the order in which they are combined.

4. What is the significance of Order 36 in Group Theory?

Order 36 is a special number in Group Theory because it is the product of two prime numbers, 2 and 3. This means that a group with order 36 can have subgroups of order 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, and 36. It also has a unique subgroup of order 36, making it a useful number for solving group theory problems.

5. How do you solve group theory problems involving Sylow, Abelian, and Order 36?

The key to solving group theory problems involving Sylow, Abelian, and Order 36 is to understand the properties and relationships between these concepts. This involves identifying the Sylow subgroups, determining if the group is Abelian, and using the properties of Order 36 to simplify the problem. It also helps to have a good understanding of group theory and its various theorems and techniques.