Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Theory

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    Hello.

I was wondering how I could prove if a set of numbers along with some arbitrary operation is an abelian group.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2
    Don't you have a list of axioms which says "G is an abelian group if and only if the following are satisfied: ..."?

4. Dec 2, 2005 #3

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first step is proving that it is a group in the first place.

If it's not a group, than it certainly isn't an abelian group.

Then after that, look at the definition of what it means for a group to be abelian. Test it. Then you are done.

Hint: a*b = b*a (where * is the binary operation)

5. Dec 2, 2005 #4
    Sometimes it feels like people just repeat what I write.

6. Dec 2, 2005 #5

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You said...

Don't you have a list of axioms which says "G is an abelian group if and only if the following are satisfied: ..."?

That's assuming that it is a group, but he hasn't even shown that yet. I'd worry about proving that it is a group before even thinking about what properties the group might have.

7. Dec 2, 2005 #6
    No it isn't. I even used the plural of "axiom" to try to hint at the fact that several things, rather than just commutativity, needed to be checked.

8. Dec 2, 2005 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good hint. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?