Proving A_4 ≠ S_4: Is Order of Elements Enough?

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, to show A4 is not isomorphic to D6, we can demonstrate that there is an element in one group with an order that does not appear in the other group. This is a valid argument and shows that there can be no isomorphism between the two groups.
latentcorpse
How do I go about showing [itex]A_4 \not\cong S_4[/itex]

So far the only argument I've been able to come up with is that the order of the elements of the two groups differ. Is this sufficient to conclude the two groups aren't isomorphic - it just doesn't seem that rigorous to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
A group isomorphism is a 1-1 and onto mapping between two groups. Of course that implies they have the same order. There's nothing nonrigorous about saying that.

If [tex]\phi[/tex] is an isomorphism between groups then [tex]\phi(g^n) = \phi(g)^n[/tex] so [tex]\phi[/tex] must preserve orders. If you can demonstrate there is an element in one group with an order which doesn't appear in the other group then that means there can be no isomorphism.

my bad,
the question was to show A4 isn't isomorphic to D6.
surely i can just apply the argument given in post 3 to this case though?

latentcorpse said:
my bad,
the question was to show A4 isn't isomorphic to D6.
surely i can just apply the argument given in post 3 to this case though?

Absolutely.

1. What is A_4 and S_4?

A_4 and S_4 are both groups in abstract algebra. A_4 is the alternating group of even permutations on four elements, while S_4 is the symmetric group of all permutations on four elements.

2. Why is it important to prove that A_4 ≠ S_4?

Proving that A_4 ≠ S_4 is important in understanding the structure and properties of these two groups. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as group theory and geometry.

3. What does it mean for A_4 and S_4 to be "isomorphic"?

Two groups are isomorphic if they have the same structure and properties, even if their elements are represented differently. In the case of A_4 and S_4, they are not isomorphic, meaning that they are fundamentally different groups.

4. Can the order of elements alone prove that A_4 ≠ S_4?

No, the order of elements alone is not enough to prove that A_4 ≠ S_4. While both groups have the same order (24 elements), they have different structures and properties.

5. What other methods can be used to prove that A_4 ≠ S_4?

One method is to show that A_4 and S_4 have different subgroup structures. Another method is to show that they have different commutator subgroups. Additionally, one can prove that A_4 and S_4 have different normal subgroups, which would also demonstrate that they are not isomorphic.