Understanding SU(N) Representations and Subgroups

In summary, the fundamental representation of SU(N) has a basic form that allows you to deduce that there is a SU(N-1) subgroup. This can be seen in the example of SU(3), where the generators T_{1}, T_{2}, T_{3} form an SU(2) subgroup. Additionally, the adjoint representation of SU(N) shows that it has subgroups SU(N_1), SU(N_2), SU(N_3), ... U(1), where N_1+N_2+N_3+...=N. This means that SU(5) has subgroups SU(3), SU(2), and U(1). However, for U(1) to be
RedX
The fundamental representation of SU(N) has a basic form that allows you to deduce that there is a SU(N-1) subgroup. For example, in SU(3), the generators [tex]T_{1}[/tex], [tex]T_{2}[/tex], [tex]T_{3}[/tex] form an SU(2) subgroup.

I'm reading a book right now that goes into the adjoint representation of SU(N) to show that SU(N) has subgroups [tex]SU(N_1)[/tex], [tex]SU(N_2)[/tex], [tex]SU(N_3)[/tex], ... U(1), where [tex]N_1+N_2+N_3+...=N[/tex]. For example, SU(5) has subgroups SU(3), SU(2), and U(1).

My question is that since SU(N-1) is already subgroup, doesn't [tex]N_1=N-1[/tex], forcing [tex]N_2=1[/tex], and the rest of the N's zero?

Also, for U(1) to be a subgroup, you have to find a linear combination of generators (call it the generator [tex]T_0[/tex]) such that the new structure constant has a zero whenever one of its indices is 0? If the structure constant changes, isn't this a new group, and not a subgroup?

And why are the subgroups of SU(5) combined into the direct product group: SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
My question is that since SU(N-1) is already subgroup, doesn't [tex]N_1=N-1[/tex] , forcing [tex]N_2=1[/tex] , and the rest of the N's zero?

Seems that there is no SU(1) group.

PRB147 said:
Seems that there is no SU(1) group.

Actually SU(1) = SO(1) is the trivial group, i.e. it has a faithful representation consisting of the number 1 under multiplication.

To the OP, maybe it would help if you state the theorem in the book i.e. I cannot tell whether it is a necessary or sufficient condition.

1. What is the significance of SU(N) representations in physics?

SU(N) representations are important in physics because they describe the symmetries of particles and fields in a quantum system. These representations are used to classify particles and understand their interactions, making them essential in understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

2. How are SU(N) representations related to subgroups?

SU(N) representations are closely related to subgroups because they describe the transformation of particles under specific symmetry operations. Subgroups are a subset of the larger group and represent a more specific symmetry. The representations of a subgroup are contained within the representations of the larger group.

3. What is the difference between a fundamental and adjoint representation in SU(N)?

The fundamental representation in SU(N) describes the most basic building blocks of a quantum system, such as quarks or electrons, and transforms under the fundamental symmetry of SU(N). The adjoint representation, on the other hand, describes the symmetry transformations of the underlying gauge fields that mediate interactions between the fundamental particles.

4. How are Lie algebras related to SU(N) representations?

Lie algebras provide a mathematical framework for studying the symmetries of a system. For SU(N) representations, the Lie algebra is the set of all possible generators that correspond to the symmetry operations of the group. The representations of SU(N) can be constructed using the generators of the corresponding Lie algebra.

5. What are some applications of understanding SU(N) representations and subgroups?

Understanding SU(N) representations and subgroups has many practical applications in physics, particularly in the study of particle physics and the fundamental forces of nature. These concepts are also used in other fields such as quantum computation and condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of complex systems. Additionally, the study of SU(N) representations and subgroups has led to advancements in mathematical techniques and theories.