Proving Finite Index Subgroups in G Have Normal Subgroups of Lower Index

In summary: in summary, the inequality stated in the homework statement is true, but for some not all groups have a subgroup with index less than n!
CornMuffin

Homework Statement

Prove: If H is a subgroup with finite index in G
Then there is a normal subgroup K of G such that K is a subgroup of H and K has index less than n! in G.

Homework Equations

Note: |G:H| represents the index of H in G

|G:H| is the number of left cosets of H in G, ie # of elements in {gH: g in G}

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't had much progress in this proof at all.
The only thing that I can think of using is that |G : K| = |G : H||H : K| for a subgroup K of H

But i don't know what to try.

Physics news on Phys.org
CornMuffin said:

Homework Statement

Prove: If H is a subgroup with finite index in G
Then there is a normal subgroup K of G such that K is a subgroup of H and K has index less than n! in G.

Homework Equations

Note: |G:H| represents the index of H in G

|G:H| is the number of left cosets of H in G, ie # of elements in {gH: g in G}

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't had much progress in this proof at all.
The only thing that I can think of using is that |G : K| = |G : H||H : K| for a subgroup K of H

But i don't know what to try.

Have you tried going from what you have and then using the first iso theorem?

suppose that [G:H] = n.

consider the mapping φg: G/H→G/H given by xH→(gx)H for any given g in G.

prove this mapping is a bijection on G/H, for every g in G (hint: it has an inverse, what is it?).

conclude g→φg is a homomorphism of G into Sym(G/H).

what is |Sym(G/H)| (hint: G/H is a set with n elements)?

what can you say about the kernel of the homomorphism g→φg?

note that the theorem, strictly speaking, isn't true. for example, let G = S5, and let H = S4 = {elements of S5 that fix 5}. then [G:H] = 5, but the ONLY normal subgroups of S5 are A5 and {e}, and of these two, only {e} is a subgroup of S4, and {e} has index 5!, in other words, the inequality [G:K] < n! isn't true, but the inequality [G:K] ≤ n! is.

1. What does it mean for a subgroup to have finite index in G?

A subgroup H of a group G has finite index if the number of left cosets of H in G is finite. This means that the elements of G can be partitioned into a finite number of distinct subsets, each of which is a left coset of H.

2. Why is it important to prove that a subgroup has finite index in G?

Proving that a subgroup has finite index in G is important because it allows us to better understand the structure of the group. It also allows us to make certain conclusions about the subgroup and its relationship to the larger group.

3. What is the significance of a subgroup having a normal subgroup of lower index?

If a subgroup H of a group G has a normal subgroup of lower index, it means that there is a subgroup of G that is contained within H and has a smaller number of left cosets. This can provide useful information about the structure of H and its relationship to G.

4. How can one prove that a subgroup of a group has a normal subgroup of lower index?

There are multiple ways to prove that a subgroup of a group has a normal subgroup of lower index. One common method is to use the Second Isomorphism Theorem, which states that if H and K are subgroups of a group G with H being a normal subgroup of K and K having finite index in G, then H also has finite index in G. Another method is to use the concept of cosets and show that the set of left cosets of the subgroup forms a partition of the group.

5. Are there any applications of the concept of proving finite index subgroups having normal subgroups of lower index?

Yes, there are many applications of this concept in mathematics and other fields. One application is in the study of group theory and its applications in abstract algebra. It is also useful in the study of finite groups and their properties. Additionally, this concept has applications in areas such as cryptography and coding theory.