1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Theory -

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove: If H is a subgroup with finite index in G
    Then there is a normal subgroup K of G such that K is a subgroup of H and K has index less than n! in G.

2. Relevant equations
    Note: |G:H| represents the index of H in G

|G:H| is the number of left cosets of H in G, ie # of elements in {gH: g in G}

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't had much progress in this proof at all.
    The only thing that I can think of using is that |G : K| = |G : H||H : K| for a subgroup K of H

But i don't know what to try.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2
    Have you tried going from what you have and then using the first iso theorem?

4. Feb 26, 2012 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

suppose that [G:H] = n.

consider the mapping φg: G/H→G/H given by xH→(gx)H for any given g in G.

prove this mapping is a bijection on G/H, for every g in G (hint: it has an inverse, what is it?).

conclude g→φg is a homomorphism of G into Sym(G/H).

what is |Sym(G/H)| (hint: G/H is a set with n elements)?

what can you say about the kernel of the homomorphism g→φg?

note that the theorem, strictly speaking, isn't true. for example, let G = S5, and let H = S4 = {elements of S5 that fix 5}. then [G:H] = 5, but the ONLY normal subgroups of S5 are A5 and {e}, and of these two, only {e} is a subgroup of S4, and {e} has index 5!, in other words, the inequality [G:K] < n! isn't true, but the inequality [G:K] ≤ n! is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook