1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group theory

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    I am familiar with what SO(2) means for example but am unclear what SO(1,1) refers to. This came up in a classical physics video lecture when lie groups were discussed and the significance of the notation was glossed over.
    Second question: is the dimensionality of such a group the same as the number of generators?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2
    SO(2) has an interpretation as rotations that preserve the dot product in two dimensions. So a^2 + b^2 = a'^2 + b'^2 where a' and b' are the result of applying an element of SO(2) to the two component vector with components a and b.

SO(1,1) is also preserves such a product, but it's not the usual dot product you are familiar with. Rather, it says that a^2 - b^2 = a'^2 - b'^2 (notice the minus sign). So extending this notation, SO(m,n) would be m minus signs and n plus signs, and acts of vectors of dimension m+n. This is most useful in Special Relativity, where the lorentz group is SO(1,3).

I think the dimension of a group is the number of generators, but I don't remember for sure.

4. May 2, 2013 #3
    Thank you very much, it is clear now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook