1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Theory

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let ##G## be a cyclic group of order ##7,## that is, ##G## consists of all ##a^i##, where ##a^7 = e.## Why is the mapping ##\phi:a^i\to a^{2i}## an automorphism of ##G## of order ##3##?

The attempt at a solution

I know the group ##G## is formed by the elements ##\{ e, a, a^2, a^3, a^4, a^5, a^6 \}##. Now under the mapping of ##\phi##, the order of elements is changed to: ##e, a^2, a^4, a^6, a, a^3, a^5 ##. Thus, ##\phi## is both one-one and onto. What I don't understand is why ##G## is of order ##3## by the map ##\phi##?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Play around with it. Order 3 means ##\phi^3## is the identity. Is it? Is ##\phi^3(a)=\phi(\phi(\phi(a)))=a##?

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

The automorphisms of [itex]G[/itex] are themselves a group, [itex]\mathrm{Aut}(G)[/itex], under the operation of composition of functions. An automorphism [itex]\phi \in \mathrm{Aut}(G)[/itex] being of order 3 means that [itex]\phi^3[/itex] is the identity function on [itex]G[/itex], [itex]\mathrm{Id}_G \in \mathrm{Aut}(G)[/itex].

So what's [itex]\phi^3(a^i)[/itex]?

5. Oct 30, 2013 #4
    But how did they get ##\phi^3##? How did they know ##\phi## has order 3? For example, does it have order ##8## or ##9##?

6. Oct 30, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The order of the automorphism, n, is the smallest number such that ##\phi^n## is the identity automorphism. They didn't just know that it is 3, they figured it out. And they are asking you to do the same. You figured out the mapping for ##\phi## pretty easily, now do ##\phi^3##.

7. Oct 30, 2013 #6
    Ohh, thank you! I understand now. I thought they came up with it out of the blue.

But is there an easy way to verify the order of the automorphism?

8. Oct 30, 2013 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, there's an easier way than working out the whole group mapping. I think you should work that out by playing with it. Once you've done that and given it some thought, do you see that if ##\phi^n(a)=a## where a is a generator then ##\phi^n(x)=x## for all elements of the group?

9. Oct 31, 2013 #8
    Dick - No I cant see that. Why is that?

10. Oct 31, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about it. Every element of the group is a power of a and ##\phi^n(a)=a## and ##\phi## is a homomorphism. Put those things together.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted