Unraveling the Mystery of Abelian Groups When ##|G| = p^2##

In summary, in this conversation, the topic of whether a group G with |G| = p^2, where p is a prime, is abelian is discussed. It is proven that if |Z(G)| = p, then G is abelian. The confusion surrounding Lagrange's theorem and the significance of |N(a)| | |G| is addressed and clarified. The conversation ends with the conclusion that if N(a) = G, then a is in the center of G.
Lee33

Homework Statement

If ##|G| = p^2## where ##p## is a prime, then ##G## is abelian. 2. The attempt at a solution

The book my proof gives is confusing at the very last part.

Suppose ##|Z(G)| = p##. Let ##a\in G##, ##a\notin Z(G)##. Thus ##|N(a)| > p##, yet by Lagrange ##|N(a)| \ | \ |G| = p^2##.

Why is ##|N(a)| \ | \ |G| = p^2##? Since ##|G| = p^2## and ##|N(a)|> p ## how does that make ##|N(a)| \ | \ |G| = p^2##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

If ##|G| = p^2## where ##p## is a prime, then ##G## is abelian.

2. The attempt at a solution

The book my proof gives is confusing at the very last part.

Suppose ##|Z(G)| = p##. Let ##a\in G##, ##a\notin Z(G)##. Thus ##|N(a)| > p##, yet by Lagrange ##|N(a)| \ | \ |G| = p^2##.

Why is ##|N(a)| \ | \ |G| = p^2##? Since ##|G| = p^2## and ##|N(a)|> p ## how does that make ##|N(a)| \ | \ |G| = p^2##?

You are reading it wrong. |N(a)| | |G| just means that the number |N(a)| divides the number |G|. It doesn't have a numerical value. They are just saying |N(a)|>p and yet |N(a)| must divide |G|=p^2. So?

So, since ##|N(a)|>p## and ##|N(a)|## must divide ##|G|## then ##|N(a)| = p^2##?

Lee33 said:
So, since ##|N(a)|>p## and ##|N(a)|## must divide ##|G|## then ##|N(a)| = p^2##?

Yes!

Thanks! Last question, since ##|N(a)| = p^2## why would this imply ##a\in Z(G)##?

Lee33 said:
Thanks! Last question, since ##|N(a)| = p^2## why would this imply ##a\in Z(G)##?

N(a) is the normalizer subgroup of a. If N(a)=p^2 then N(a)=G, right? You tell me why that should mean ##a\in Z(G)##.

Since N(a) = G then N(a) generates the group G thus ##a\in Z(G)##?

Lee33 said:
Since N(a) = G then N(a) generates the group G thus ##a\in Z(G)##?

I don't think that really means anything. What does N(a) mean?

It is the normalizer, so ##N(a) = \{ x \in G \ | \ xa = ax\}.##

Lee33 said:
It is the normalizer, so ##N(a) = \{ x \in G \ | \ xa = ax\}.##

So in words, N(a) is the set of all elements of G that commute with a. Now what does ##a\in Z(G)## mean in words describing what a commutes with?

The center of the group G is the set of elements that commute with every element of G. Where N(a) is the set of all elements of G that commute with a. So is it because then that will make G abelian hence G = Z(G) hence a in Z(G)?

Lee33 said:
The center of the group G is the set of elements that commute with every element of G. Where N(a) is the set of all elements of G that commute with a. So is it because then that will make G abelian hence G = Z(G) hence a in Z(G)?

It is going to be shown abelian eventually, but you aren't there yet, so you can't use 'abelian' to prove a is in Z(G). First just tell me why a is in Z(G). Think about the words and use that N(a)=G (why do we know that?).

Last edited:
Since N(a) = G then all elements of G commute with a thus why ##a \in Z(G)?##

Lee33 said:
Since N(a) = G then all elements of G commute with a thus why ##a \in Z(G)?##

I'd feel more confident you understood that if you wouldn't end all of your comments in a '?'. If you remind me how we know N(a)=G that might restore my confidence. No '?', ok?

Lol I understand. We got ##N(a) = G## since we establish that since ##|N(a)|>p## and ##|N(a)|## must divide ##|G|## then ##|N(a)| = p^2## since ##p^2 = |G|## then ##|N(a)| = |G|##.

Lee33 said:
Lol I understand. We got ##N(a) = G## since we establish that since ##|N(a)|>p## and ##|N(a)|## must divide ##|G|## then ##|N(a)| = p^2## since ##p^2 = |G|## then ##|N(a)| = |G|##.

Right! N(a) is a subgroup of G having p^2 elements. But G has only p^2 elements. So |N(a)|=|G| means N(a) must equal G, which should be your final conclusion. Thinking about these things in words and using less symbols often helps.

Likes 1 person
Yes, it does! Thank you very much!

1. What is an Abelian group?

An Abelian group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and an operation defined on them. The operation must be associative, commutative, and have an identity element and inverse element for every element in the group. Abelian groups are named after the mathematician Niels Henrik Abel and are also known as commutative groups.

2. What does it mean when ##|G| = p^2##?

When ##|G| = p^2##, it means that the order of the Abelian group G is a prime number (p) squared. This is a special case in the study of Abelian groups and has important implications for their structure and properties.

3. What is the significance of unraveling the mystery of Abelian groups when ##|G| = p^2##?

Understanding the structure and properties of Abelian groups when ##|G| = p^2## has important applications in various fields of mathematics, such as number theory, group theory, and algebraic geometry. It also helps us gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental concepts of group theory and their applications in other areas of mathematics.

4. Are there any real-world applications of this research?

While Abelian groups may seem abstract, they have applications in various real-world problems, such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics. For example, in cryptography, Abelian groups are used in the Diffie-Hellman key exchange algorithm, and in physics, they are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems.

5. What are some future directions for research in this area?

There are still many open questions and avenues for further research in the study of Abelian groups when ##|G| = p^2##. Some interesting directions include investigating the connection between these groups and other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry, and exploring their applications in emerging fields, such as quantum computing and topological data analysis.