• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Group Theory

• Thread starter hgj
  • Start date
hgj
Group Theory, please help!

Okay, so I'm stuck on a couple questions from my homework, and any guidance would be much appreciated.

1. Prove that if G is a finite group with an even number of elements,
then there is an element x in G such that x is not the identity and
x^2 = e.

I know there exists some element x in G because G is not empty. And because e (the identity element in G) is unique, x is not equal to e, so x is not the identity. But I can't see how to go from x doesn't equal e to x^2 = e.

2. Prove that if (S,*) is a finite set with a binary operation that is
associative, has an identity, and satisfies the cancellation laws,
then (S,*) is a group.

I know that for (S, *) to be a group, it must be associative, there must exist an identity element e in S wrt *, and every element in S must be invertible. The first two properties follow easily from the way (S,*) is defined, but I don't know how to show the last property holds. It makes sense to me that it's true when I look at the cancellation law (if a,b,c are in S and ab = ac, the b = c), and I've tried working backwards, but then I find myself wanting to create an inverse in S, and that seems wrong.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
When x² = e, then x = x-1. However, if x² is not equal to e, then x and x-1 are distinct. If the order of G is even, then think about what happens if x and x-1 form distinct pairs for each non-identity x.

2. Prove that if (S,*) is a finite set with a binary operation that is
associative, has an identity, and satisfies the cancellation laws,
then (S,*) is a group.
Suppose the elements of S are [tex]x_1, \ldots, x_n[/tex]. Let [tex]x_k[/tex] be some arbitrary element. What happens when you consider the elements

[tex]x_1 x_k, x_2 x_k, \cdots, x_n x_k[/tex]?

Can two of them be equal to each other, for example?

hgj
Muzza said:
Suppose the elements of S are [tex]x_1, \ldots, x_n[/tex]. Let [tex]x_k[/tex] be some arbitrary element. What happens when you consider the elements

[tex]x_1 x_k, x_2 x_k, \cdots, x_n x_k[/tex]?

Can two of them be equal to each other, for example?
I see if i let [tex]x_1x_k = x_2x_k = \cdots = x_nx_k[/tex] then, through the cancellation law, I get [tex]x_1 = x_2 = \cdots = x_n[/tex]. Then, because it is given that S has an identity element, if these are all the elements of S and they are all equal, then they must all equal that identity element. So, each element in S has an inverse. But how can I claim [tex]x_1x_k = x_2x_k = \cdots = x_nx_k[/tex] ?

AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You don't need all of them to be equal. But can any pair be equal? If any pair at all is equal, then there is an i and a j distinct from each other such that [itex]x_ix_k = x_jx_k[/itex] and by the right cancellation law, [itex]x_i = x_j[/itex]. But this contradicts the stipulation that [itex]x_i[/itex] and [itex]x_j[/itex] are distinct if i and j are distinct. So it cannot the the case that [itex]x_ix_k = x_jx_k[/itex] for any i and j. If S has n distinct elements, and [itex]x_1 x_k, x_2 x_k, \cdots, x_n x_k[/itex] are n distinct elements of S, then clearly [itex]S = \{x_1 x_k, x_2 x_k, \cdots, x_n x_k\}[/itex]. Since identity is an element of S, there is some, let's call it m, such that [itex]x_mx_k = e[/itex]. This should be more than enough, you can tie up the loose ends to complete the proof.