Understanding the D^{l}(\theta) Representation of 3D Rotations

In summary, the D^{l}(\theta) representation of 3D rotations is a way to describe spin in quantum mechanics. It is represented by the group SU(2) which is locally isomorphic to the group SO(3). The representations are labeled by an integer or half integer j, or l, and can be thought of as the three-dimensional vector representation for j=1 and as the representation of intrinsic spin for j=1/2. These representations can also be added together to form a larger representation.
Phymath
I'm having difficulty with the [tex] D^{l}(\theta) [/tex] representation of 3D rotations what do the mean i suppose one you construct it for l = 1 you get the general rotation Euler matrix for 3-d Space, but what do the l = other integers or half integers mean physically? is the D matrices the generalization of 3-D rotations to different vector spaces? such as a 2 dimensional space for l = 1/2? any explanation would help thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Phymath said:
I'm having difficulty with the [tex] D^{l}(\theta) [/tex] representation of 3D rotations what do the mean i suppose one you construct it for l = 1 you get the general rotation Euler matrix for 3-d Space, but what do the l = other integers or half integers mean physically? is the D matrices the generalization of 3-D rotations to different vector spaces? such as a 2 dimensional space for l = 1/2? any explanation would help thanks.
Hmm...roughly speaking, in QM, the description of spin is by the the representation of the group SU(2), which is locally isomorphic to the group SO(3), they can share similar representations.
To obtain the representations of group SU(2), we can start from the algebra, i.e. [tex][J_i,J_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_k[/tex], where [tex]J_i[/tex] are generators. By the standard procedure which is shown by almost all QM book(e.g. Sakurai), you can see that the representations are labeled by an integer or half integer j, or your l. For the case of j = 1, you could actually think of it as the three dimensional vector representation. For the case of j = 1/2, this is a representation of the intrinsic spin of, say, electrons. For the group SO(3), it turns out that j could be only integers, 0,1,2,...
Representations can be direct product to form a larger representation, this is physically interpreted as the addition of spins.
Any supplement or corrections are welcome.

The D^{l}(\theta) representation of 3D rotations is a mathematical tool used to describe and analyze rotations in three-dimensional space. The "l" in the representation refers to the angular momentum quantum number, which determines the type of rotation being represented.

For example, when l=1, the D^{l}(\theta) representation is known as the "spherical harmonic representation" and is commonly used to describe rotations in quantum mechanics. This representation can also be used to construct the general rotation Euler matrix for 3D space.

When l is any other integer or half-integer, the D^{l}(\theta) representation describes rotations in higher dimensional spaces. For instance, when l=2, the representation describes rotations in four-dimensional space.

In essence, the D^{l}(\theta) representation is a generalization of 3D rotations to higher dimensional vector spaces. It allows for a more comprehensive understanding and analysis of rotations in various contexts, such as in quantum mechanics or higher-dimensional geometry.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the meaning and significance of the D^{l}(\theta) representation for you. If you have further questions or would like more information, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is a D^{l}(\theta) representation of 3D rotations?

A D^{l}(\theta) representation of 3D rotations is a mathematical method used to describe the rotation of a three-dimensional object around an axis. It uses a set of parameters, including the angle of rotation (\theta) and the angular momentum (l), to represent the orientation of the object at each point in time.

2. How is the D^{l}(\theta) representation used in scientific research?

The D^{l}(\theta) representation is commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering to study the motion and behavior of three-dimensional objects. It is particularly useful in studying rotational motion and symmetry in molecules and crystals, as well as in analyzing the behavior of rotating bodies in space.

3. What are the advantages of using the D^{l}(\theta) representation?

The D^{l}(\theta) representation offers several advantages over other methods of representing 3D rotations. It is compact and efficient, requiring only a small number of parameters to describe complex rotations. It also has a clear mathematical structure that allows for easy manipulation and analysis of rotational data.

4. Can the D^{l}(\theta) representation be applied to non-rigid bodies?

Yes, the D^{l}(\theta) representation can be applied to both rigid and non-rigid bodies. However, it is most commonly used for rigid body rotations, as it assumes that the object maintains its shape and size during the rotation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the D^{l}(\theta) representation?

While the D^{l}(\theta) representation is a powerful tool for understanding 3D rotations, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for describing continuous rotations, as it only considers discrete orientations at specific points in time. Additionally, it may not accurately represent highly complex or chaotic rotations.