1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group velocity of EMW

1. Dec 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Electromagnetic wave, with the frequency [itex]\omega[/itex], travels through the medium for which:
    where [itex]\omega_p[/itex] and [itex]\omega_0[/itex] are constants. How does the expression for the group velocity [itex]v_g(\omega)[/itex] looks like? What condition do the constants need to satisfy so that the relativity principle [itex]v_g\leq c[/itex] should hold?

2. Relevant equations
    The expression for group velocity of the travelling wave is [itex]v_g=\frac{d\omega}{dk}[/itex]
    where [itex]\omega[/itex] is angular frequency and k is wave number (vector in 3D).

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is I don't really know where to start. I have the expression for electric permittivity, and I don't know how to connect that with group velocity of the emw. Does any one know how to start, and what to look? Thnx!
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2009 #2
    You (should) know that the phase velocity is also found from

v_p=c\cdot n(\omega)

Do you know of any relations between the dielectric permittivity you are given and the real refractive index [itex]n(\omega)[/itex]?
  4. Dec 16, 2009 #3
    We have learned that [itex]v_p=\frac{c}{n(k)}[/itex], and our substitute assistant said sth about:

And he said that that was form our general physics class when we learned about electricity and magnetism, but I really can't recall when and where did we learn that :\

EDIT: No, that first term I found in Jacson: Classical electrodynamics, and this problem is from general physics class (sth like 8.03 in MIT)
  5. Dec 16, 2009 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is all you need to solve this problem...For most media, [itex]\mu\approx\mu_0[/itex], so I think that is a fair assumption to make here (Or at least assume that [itex]\mu[/itex] is independent of [itex]\omega[/itex]). After that, just substitute in your expression for [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and find [itex]\frac{d\omega}{d k}[/itex] through implicit differentiation of the above expression.

Side note: The above expression can be easily derived by looking at the fields of a plane wave (with wavenumber [itex]k[/itex] and angular frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]) and seeing what conditions are necessary for such fields to satisfy Maxwell's equations (or, equivalently, the wave equation) in a medium with permittivity [itex]\epsilon[/itex].
  6. Dec 16, 2009 #5
    Whoops, I was thinking phase velocity and you wanted group velocity....
  7. Dec 16, 2009 #6
    Thank you very much! I'll do that! :)
  8. Dec 16, 2009 #7

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I just noticed your expression is actually incorrect....it should really be:

[tex]k^2=\mu\epsilon \omega^2=\mu_r\epsilon_r \frac{\omega^2}{c^2}[/tex]

(And of course, this is only true for a non-conducting, source-free medium)
  9. Dec 17, 2009 #8
    Yeah, because [itex]\mu =\mu_0\mu_r[/itex]? Right? And [itex]\mu_0\epsilon_0=\frac{1}{c^2}[/itex]...

EDIT: After I put my original eq. into the [tex]k^2=\mu\epsilon \omega^2=\mu_r\epsilon_r \frac{\omega^2}{c^2}[/tex] I get quadratic equation for [tex]\omega_{1,2}^2[/tex]. So I get my solutions and derive those with the respect to k?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. Dec 17, 2009 #9

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's one way to do it (although [itex]\omega[/itex] is positive by definition, so I suspect you can throw away one of your solutions), but I suggest an easier method is as follows:

[tex]k^2=f(\omega)\implies 2k=f'(\omega)\frac{d\omega}{d k}\implies \frac{d\omega}{d k}=2\frac{\sqrt{f(\omega)}}{f'(\omega)} [/tex]
  11. Dec 17, 2009 #10
    Oh, ok! :D So I put my expression for [tex]\epsilon[/tex] in the [tex]k^2[/tex] expression and derive it, and I get my [tex]v_g=\frac{d\omega}{dk}[/tex] immediately? That's great!

Thank you very much!!

P.S. I thought about asking you about that last expression you got, but then I wrote it down and I figured how you got it :) Silly me :D

EDIT: I have solved it and it came out as:

What conditions should [tex]\omega_p[/tex] and [tex]\omega_0[/tex] satisfy so that my group velocity is smaller or equal than c? Do I solve the inequality?
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook