1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Velocity

1. Aug 6, 2007 #1
    I am wondering if group velocity can defined only for waves with very close wavenumber?
    I see a number of simulations which shows the superposition of two waves with slighlty different wavenumber and angular frequency, and a train of wave pulses is produced. The group velocity is then (w2-w1)/(k2-k1).

But what if it is two waves of very different wavenumber?

And also, for waves that is composed of a range of values of k, where shall I evluate the group velocity i.e. the derivative dw/dt at?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I think the concept of "group velocity" has meaning only when [itex]\omega[/itex] is a linear function of [itex]k[/itex], or nearly so. Then the derivative [itex]d\omega / dk[/itex] is a constant, or nearly so, and it doesn't make any difference what value of [itex]k[/itex] you evaluate the derivative at.

If [itex]d\omega / dk[/itex] isn't constant, the packet changes shape as time passes, and eventually "falls apart".

4. Aug 7, 2007 #3
    If dw/dk is not constant, so what is the group velocity at every instant time? Though the packet changes shape as time passes, it shall still have a group velocity, isn't it? Just that the shape of the envelop changes but not the group velocity...?

And I actually see some books having Cg = 1-k^-2 etc.....so...what does it mean?

5. Aug 7, 2007 #4
    I am thinking about the following:
    That group velocity is for a group of waves that have a range of wavenumbers that is closed together (or dominated by such a group of wavenumbers) so that
    k0 - delta < k <k0 +delta, where the dominating range of wavenumbers is around k0.

So, the group of waves can be viewed as a single harmonic wave of wavenumber k0 but with a varying envelope A(x,t). Just like the case of "beats".

So, the group velocity is dw/dk evaluated at k=k0.

So no matter the wave is dispersive or non-dispersive, the group velocity is still k=k0. But for dispersive waves, the envelop function will spread out or flatten as time passes.

Do you think I am thinking correctly? Is the concepts of group velocity has meaning only when the wavenumbers are dominated by a small group of wavenumbers / the wavenumbers are close enough together?

6. Aug 7, 2007 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

We can still define a group velocity, one just has to be mindful that group velocity will vary with frequency in a medium, due to material dispersion. Dispersive behaviour is contained within higher order derivative terms, d^2w/dk^2 and so forth.

Claude.

7. Aug 7, 2007 #6
    Suppose the group velocity cg = 1-k^-2. And there is a group of waves with different values of k, so what value of k shall I use to find the group velocity?

8. Aug 8, 2007 #7

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pick a reasonable central value. If the spread in k is so large that vg would be very different for different choices, then group velocity is not a useful concept.
    The packet would spread so much that a packet velocity would be hard to specify.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook