Maths of GPS: Understanding Wave Packet Group Velocity

In summary: Either way, the idea is to differentiate each part of the function separately and then combine using the appropriate rule.
guillefix
I am doing my extended essay on the maths involved in GPS, and I am trying to understand the concept of the group velocity of a wave packet, http://www.mathpages.com/home/kmath210/kmath210.htm" they explain it more or less, but I still don't get how do they differenciate dw/dk to get c/n-ck/n^2(dn/dk), and in other book I read it says it is v+k(dv/dk). And what is exactly group velocity, the velocity of the envelope of the wave resulting from adding two waves or what?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you should be able to show that those two statements are equivalent just by writing the second in terms of the index of refraction.

Strangely I always have trouble with this derivation. I think it's because I'm not careful from the beginning about distinguishing between free space wavelength and [tex]\lambda(\omega)[/tex] in the various equations that relate w,k,n etc. If you start from the relation w/k = c/n you should be able to arrive at the first equation you posted easily.

The one thing I don't understand, which I'm sure is some basic calculus that I'm forgetting, is this: why is dn/dk not [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex] /2[tex]\pi[/tex]? I understand that n([tex]\lambda[/tex]) is some complicated function for a given material which depends on electronic resonances, etc. But it's a true statement that k([tex]\omega[/tex])=2[tex]\pi[/tex]n([tex]\omega[/tex])/[tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex], and I can't remember the exact mathematical reason why I can't do the differentiation.

I am confused because when you integrate dw/dk i think you should get ck/n + ck/n, and using the formula you mentioned w=ck/n. And why is it that when you derivate ck/n + ck/n, you consider the firs n as a constant ant the second n as a function of k?

Thank you

I guess you are trying to work backwards from the answer, but I wouldn't recommend that because you need to do integration by parts, for the same reason you need to do chain rule to solve the problem initially. Make sure you can get that expression when you differentiate w=ck/n, then you can try to work backwards if you want.

For both forms , you can start from the definition of the group velocity and write omega in terms of the phase velocity. (using [tex]$ v_{ph}=\omega/k[/tex])

[tex]$ v_g=\frac{d\omega}{dk} = \frac{d (kv_{ph})}{dk}$[/tex]
In order to get the group velocity in terms of phase velocity (the second form in OP), you just need to apply the chain rule:
[tex]$ v_g=v_{ph}+k\frac{dv_{ph}}{dk}$[/tex]

To express the group veolocity in terms of index of refraction (first form in OP), you can write [tex]$ v_{ph}=c/n[/tex]
and again apply chain rule:
[tex]$ v_g=\frac{d (kv_{ph})}{dk}=\frac{d}{dk}\frac{kc}{n}=\frac{c}{n}-\frac{kc}{n^2}\frac{dn}{dk}$[/tex]

johng23 said:
The one thing I don't understand, which I'm sure is some basic calculus that I'm forgetting, is this: why is dn/dk not [tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex] /2[tex]\pi[/tex]? I understand that n([tex]\lambda[/tex]) is some complicated function for a given material which depends on electronic resonances, etc. But it's a true statement that k([tex]\omega[/tex])=2[tex]\pi[/tex]n([tex]\omega[/tex])/[tex]\lambda_{0}[/tex], and I can't remember the exact mathematical reason why I can't do the differentiation.
The reason is that [tex]\lambda_0[/tex] is a function of k and not a constant.

nasu said:
The reason is that [tex]\lambda_0[/tex] is a function of k and not a constant.

No because in my terminology [tex]\lambda_0[/tex] is the free space wavelength 2[tex]\pi[/tex]c/[tex]\omega[/tex].

johng23 said:
No because in my terminology [tex]\lambda_0[/tex] is the free space wavelength 2[tex]\pi[/tex]c/[tex]\omega[/tex].

And still a function of omega or k, depending on your choice of variable. It's not a constant.
Even in free space, the components of the wave packet have different wavelengths so different values for lambda_0 .
What do you think is
d[tex]$ \lambda_0 $[/tex]/d[tex]$ \omega $[/tex], according to your definition ?
Is it zero? Not at all.
Then what is
d[tex]$ \lambda_0 $[/tex]/dk?

Last edited:
nasu said:
For both forms , you can start from the definition of the group velocity and write omega in terms of the phase velocity. (using [tex]$ v_{ph}=\omega/k[/tex])

[tex]$ v_g=\frac{d\omega}{dk} = \frac{d (kv_{ph})}{dk}$[/tex]
In order to get the group velocity in terms of phase velocity (the second form in OP), you just need to apply the chain rule:
[tex]$ v_g=v_{ph}+k\frac{dv_{ph}}{dk}$[/tex]

To express the group veolocity in terms of index of refraction (first form in OP), you can write [tex]$ v_{ph}=c/n[/tex]
and again apply chain rule:
[tex]$ v_g=\frac{d (kv_{ph})}{dk}=\frac{d}{dk}\frac{kc}{n}=\frac{c}{n}-\frac{kc}{n^2}\frac{dn}{dk}$[/tex]

Thank you, I think that this is what I needed to understand it, but isn't what you are using the product rule?

d(fg)/dx=(df/dx)*g+f*(dg/dx)

I suppose "product rule" is the more appropriate name. Chain rule refers to the case of compound functions.

1. What is the significance of wave packet group velocity in GPS technology?

The wave packet group velocity is a crucial factor in GPS technology because it determines the speed at which signals travel through space. This velocity is used to accurately measure the distance between GPS satellites and receivers, allowing for precise location calculations.

2. How is the wave packet group velocity calculated in GPS?

The wave packet group velocity in GPS is calculated using the phase difference of the signals received from multiple satellites. This is done by measuring the time it takes for the signal from each satellite to reach the receiver and then using the speed of light to calculate the group velocity.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the wave packet group velocity in GPS?

Several factors can affect the accuracy of the wave packet group velocity in GPS, including atmospheric conditions, signal interference, and the number and location of satellites in view. These factors can cause errors in the measurement of the phase difference, leading to inaccuracies in location calculations.

4. How does the wave packet group velocity relate to the accuracy of GPS location calculations?

The wave packet group velocity is directly related to the accuracy of GPS location calculations. The more precise the measurement of the group velocity, the more accurate the distance measurement between satellites and receivers, resulting in more accurate location calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to using wave packet group velocity in GPS?

While the wave packet group velocity is a crucial factor in GPS technology, there are limitations to its use. For example, it assumes that signals travel at a constant speed through the atmosphere, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not account for other factors that may affect the accuracy of location calculations, such as signal obstructions or equipment errors.