Exploring V15: Elements, Subgroups, and Cyclicity

• Thread starter duki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, Homework Equations provide a list of invertibles in Z/m, but does not provide a way to generate a subgroup of those invertibles. Additionally, the order of V15 is 5.
duki

Homework Statement

Recall that Vm is the set of all invertibles in Z/m
a) List the elements in V15
b) Find all the subgroups of V15
c) Is V15 cyclic? why?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From my notes:

a) V15 = {1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, 14}
b) {2,4,8,1}{4,1}{7,4,13,1}{11,1}{14,13}{1}
c) No, no generator for whole group.

To be honest, I don't understand how any of these answers were found. I'm lost

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm listing the invertibles, are they the relatively prime numbers to 15?

there should be a theorem that states that: in Z_m a is said to be an invertibile if and only if gcd(a,m)=1.

proof:

let gcd(a,m)=1. we want to show that a is invertible. First let's see what does it mean for a to be invertible?

a is said to be invertible if there exist a b such that [a]=1.

Now, since gcd(a,m)=1=> that ax+my=1, where x,y are integers.

=>ax-1=(-y)m=> ax=1mod(m) =>[a][x]=[1], so a is invertible.

Now, if a is invertible, it means that there exists some b such that [a]=[1]=> ab=1mod(m)=> ab-1=km=> ab+(-k)m=1=> gcd(a,m)=1, so a and m are relatively prime.

Note:[a] means a mod m

Then a group G, of ord m, is said to be cyclic if there is an element g of order m. In other words, G is cyclic if [g]=G, that is if there is an element such that [g]={g^m:m integer} is the group G itself.

But, in Z_m, there is also a theorem i believe, that says sth like this: a is a generator of V_m if and only if gcd(a,m)=1

Last edited:
Oohhhh ok thanks!
Can you provide any help on B) or C)?

Well, if G is a group and g is any element of that group, then the group generated by g, i.e [g] is also a subgroup of G. so this is one way of finding some subgroups of G. For part C) i already gave u a hint in my previous post. What is the order of V_15?

Is there any a in V_15 such that (a,ord{V_15})=1 ?

I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you think you could use {2,4,8,1} as an example?

sutupidmath said:
But, in Z_m, there is also a theorem i believe, that says sth like this: a is a generator of V_m if and only if gcd(a,m)=1

How does this differ from an invertible?

duki said:
How does this differ from an invertible?

It doesn't. Every invertible element is a generator. Why? if a is an invertible element of V_m,what it means is gcd(a,m)=1. So, this means that m is not an integral multiple of a. hence, a^m=1 or ma=1(when dealing with additive groups). i.e. order of a will be m, which would mean that a is a generator as well.

duki said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Do you think you could use {2,4,8,1} as an example?

Well, assuming that this is a group, then it would be cyclic as well. WHy, the order of this group is simply the nr. of its elements. so ord =5. But, since 5 is a prime nr. it means that every nr. smaller than 5, is relatively prime to it, and also every non integral multiple of it.

Why is the order 5 instead of 4?

duki said:
Why is the order 5 instead of 4?

Well, because obviously,i have forgotten to count!

In that case it would mean that it is not cyclic, since none of the elements is relatively prime with 4. 1 is not a generator, since it is the identity(iif the operator is multiplication) and thus 1^m =1 for any m.

lol.
I still don't understand how this subgroup was found (part b). Maybe that part of my brain just doesn't work. Can you try one more time to explain it?

how do you generate a subgroup from a group? specifically {2,4,8,1} from {0,1,2,4,7,8,10,13,14}

[2]={2^k:k in Z}={2^1=2,2^2=4,2^3=8,2^4=16=1}={2,4,8,1}

notice that 16=1mod(15)

now take 4

[4]={4^k:k in Z}={4^1=4,4^2=16=1}={4,1}

As soon as we reach the multiplicative identity, 1, the elements start to repeat.

Now you do the same with others.

great! you have no clue how much you've helped... I've been so upset the past couple of hours. I have a test in the morning and was going to freak if i didn't figure these out.

Could you maybe explain how to find a generator one more time?

I made a 89 on my abstract algebra test (should have been a 90, but w/e >.>) !
Thank you!

1. What are elements in V15?

Elements in V15 refer to the individual units or components that make up the set or group V15. These elements can be numbers, letters, or any other objects that are part of V15.

2. What are subgroups in V15?

Subgroups in V15 are smaller groups that are contained within the larger group V15. They are formed by selecting certain elements from V15 and combining them in a way that follows the same group properties as V15.

3. How many subgroups can V15 have?

The number of subgroups in V15 depends on the number of elements in V15. It is possible for V15 to have an infinite number of subgroups, as long as they follow the group properties of V15.

4. What is cyclicity in V15?

Cyclicity in V15 refers to the property of a subgroup or element to generate the entire group V15 by repeatedly applying a certain operation. In other words, if an element or subgroup is cyclic, it can produce all the other elements in V15 through a specific operation.

5. How is V15 related to other groups?

V15 is a specific group and can be related to other groups in various ways. It can be a subgroup of a larger group or a supergroup of a smaller group. It may also share similar properties or operations with other groups, making it isomorphic to them.