Show Commutativity of Group with All Elements of Order 2 & Consider Zn

• Thread starter halvizo1031
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving that a group G, where every non-identity element has order two, is commutative. The participants also discuss the properties of Zn, specifically in relation to generators and cyclic subgroups. The conversation also explores different ways to prove commutativity. One possible approach is to use a multiplication table, while another suggestion is to start with the "<==" implication and show that the order of k is n/(m,n). The meaning of commutativity is also defined as xy = yx for any two elements x and y.
halvizo1031
I need help here: Suppose that G is a group in which every non-identity element has order two. Show that G is commutative.

Also, Consider Zn = {0,1,...,n-1}
a. show that an element k is a generator of Zn if and only if k and n are relatively prime.

b. Is every subgroup of Zn cyclic? If so, give a proof. If not, provide an example.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What does it mean that G is commutative?
What possible ways to prove commutativity do you know of?

For the second one, I suggest starting with the "<==" implication (i.e. assume that k and n are relatively prime and show that k generates Zn.

CompuChip said:
What does it mean that G is commutative?
What possible ways to prove commutativity do you know of?

For the second one, I suggest starting with the "<==" implication (i.e. assume that k and n are relatively prime and show that k generates Zn.

for the first one, we can show commutativity with a multiplication table. How else?

for the second one, i want to start with ==> and say that the order of k is n/(m,n). but how can i show it?

OK let's take them one at a time.

The definition of commutativity is that xy = yx for any two elements x and y.
Can you explicitly show this in the case given?

1. What is the meaning of "commutativity" in a group?

Commutativity refers to the property of a group operation where the order of the elements does not affect the outcome of the operation. In other words, switching the order of the elements does not change the result.

2. What is the significance of elements of order 2 in a group?

Elements of order 2 in a group are important because they represent the identity element, which is the element that when combined with any other element, results in the same element. This is also known as the inverse element.

3. How is the commutativity of a group with elements of order 2 proven?

The commutativity of a group with elements of order 2 can be proven by showing that for any two elements, their product is the same regardless of the order in which they are multiplied. In other words, if a*b = b*a for all elements a and b, then the group is commutative.

4. What is the group Zn?

Zn is a group of integers modulo n, where n is a positive integer. The operation in this group is modular addition, which means adding two integers and taking the remainder when divided by n.

5. How does the commutativity of Zn with elements of order 2 relate to modular arithmetic?

The commutativity of Zn with elements of order 2 can be seen through the fact that modular addition is commutative. This means that in Zn, the order of the elements does not affect the result when performing modular addition. Therefore, all elements of order 2 in Zn will have the same result when multiplied together, proving the commutativity of the group.