Can 3-fields be consistently defined and constructed?

In summary: I'll fix . for the second one (as a field)...and the third one, I'll define it as the operation x#y = x+y+1for the moment I think it should work, but I have to check it again.In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on the possibility of defining a consistent "n-field" structure with n operations and identities. The participants consider the use of different names such as "n-groupfield" and "3-field". One of the participants suggests that a 3-field could be constructed using the operations of addition, multiplication, and a new operation denoted by "#". Another participant suggests using algebraic extensions to create a 3-field structure. The conversation ends
Damidami
I was thinking about some similarities in the definitions of group and field, and if it would be possible to generalize in some sense, like follows.

A field is basically a set F, such that (F,+) is a commutative group with identity 0, and (F-{0}, .) is a commutative group with identity 1, and . distributes over +, that is a.(b+c) = a.b + a.c

If I call n the number of operations in the algebraic structure, then n=2 for fields, if I set n=1 there is left only the first operation + (and no distributive law) so I get the definition of a commutative group.

Is it possible to generalize and get some consistent definition of an "n-field"? That is, for example, a 3-field has 3 operations (+, . ,*) with 3 distinct identities (0,1,e) such that (F-{0,1},*) is a commutative group with identity e and
1) a.(b+c) = a.b + a.c (. distributes over +)
2) a*(b.c) = a*b . a*c (* distributes over .)

I can't find any inconsistency, but neither can I construct an example of such a 3-field.

If it could be possible, one in principle could prove things about n-fields, and then letting n=2 one would get a proof about fields, and letting n=1 one would get a proof about commutative groups (that's the goal I had in mind).

Can anyone construct an example of a 3-field, or show is has no sense at all?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, but n-field might bad name because that sounds like a name that would be reserved for categorifications of fields. Actually, for some reason that I don't quite understand (more out of negligence than the difficulty of understanding it, I suspect), rings are not easily categorified. So, rather than categorifying the integers, you can categorify the non-negative numbers. There's some issue with additive inverses. The non-negative numbers form what's call a rig, which is basically a ring without additive inverses. A categorification of that would be called a 2-rig. Just an aside.

It's easy to imagine a field with another binary operation defined on it, but the problem is compatibility with the other two operations. And for that matter, how do you decide how the third operation should be related to the other two?

Hi homeomorphic,

I don't know much about cateogory theory. As to the name, we can change it, instead of an n-field, it could be named an n-groupfield (I like the "n" attached to the name, so one can fastly know how many operations are defined on the structure).

Anyway, before worring about the name I was worring about if it even has any sense to define such structure. I still couldn't construct an example.

As to how to decide how the third operation should be related to the other two, that would be the distributive laws:

maybe I should add also this one
3) a*(b+c) = a*b + a*c (* distributes over +)
(I'm not sure if some of them could be deduced as a theorem).

When constructing a group, the one with smallest number of elements is the trivial group [itex] G = (0,+) [/itex] that only has one element (the identity). When constructing a field, the smallest one is [itex] F=(\{0,1\},+,.) = F_2 [/itex]

I was thinking that maybe the smallest "3-groupfield" would have 3 elements (the identities), so in principle it only lasts to construct the 3 "multiplication tables" for +, . and *. (Each of the 3 multiplication tables is a 3x3 array with the outcome of each opearation)

Does it have sense? What do you think?

Thanks,
Damián.

I'm going to use # for the third operation of your 3-fields, so there isn't any confusion with multiplication.

Consider a field F. To define a third operation as you suggest, we can completely ignore +. Let's ignore 0 for the moment too.

The multiplicative structure of F-{0} is an abelian group. To turn F into a 3-field, we must first find an ordinary field whose additive group is isomorphic to (F-{0}, *).

The first point to note is that if F contains a finite field of order q, then F-{0} has a cyclic subgroup of order q-1. This implies:
  • q-1 is either prime or 1.
  • If q is not 2, then F-{0} must consist entirely of roots of unity

If F does not contain a finite field -- i.e. if F contains the rational numbers -- then the same argument applies: (F-{0}) contains a cyclic subgroup of order 2, and a cyclic subgroup of infinite order, and therefore cannot be isomorphic to the additive group of a field.

I believe you should be able to define a 3-field structure on GF(4) -- the finite field of 4 elements. I haven't worked out what to do with 0, but I imagine you can just say 0#x=1 for all x. Same with GF(8), GF(32), and so forth.

The remaining case are transcendental extensions of GF(2). e.g. let F be the field of rational functions over GF(2). This won't work, because (F-{0}, *) is a direct sum of copies of Z. But if we take the algebraic extension of F by adding all n-th roots to everything... or maybe just take the algebraic closure... then (F-{0}, *) is a direct sum of copies of infinitely many copies of Q. Now that can be isomorphic to the additive group of a field.

Hi Hurkyl

Hurkyl said:
I'm going to use # for the third operation of your 3-fields, so there isn't any confusion with multiplication.

Consider a field F. To define a third operation as you suggest, we can completely ignore +. Let's ignore 0 for the moment too.

The multiplicative structure of F-{0} is an abelian group. To turn F into a 3-field, we must first find an ordinary field whose additive group is isomorphic to (F-{0}, *).

Completly agree up to here.
The rest is probably right, I have to think more about it.

I wanted to say I think I found an example of a 3-field.
I'll fix [itex] + [/itex] for the first operation, [itex] \cdot [/itex] for the second operation, and [itex] * [/itex] for the thirth operation.

[itex] \begin{array}{l | lll} + & 0 & 1 & e \\ \hline \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & e \\ 1 & 1 & e & 0 \\ e & e & 0 & 1 \end{array} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \begin{array}{l | lll} \cdot & 0 & 1 & e \\ \hline \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 & e \\ e & 0 & e & 1 \end{array} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \begin{array}{l | lll} * & 0 & 1 & e \\ \hline \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 & 1 \\ e & 0 & 1 & e \end{array} [/itex]

Notice how [itex] (F,+,\cdot) [/itex] is the field [itex] F_3 [/itex], and how [itex] (\{1,e\}, \cdot, *) [/itex] is the field [itex] F_2 [/itex]. That fixes the "last four places" in the table for [itex] * [/itex]. The first row and column in that table I set to [itex] 0 [/itex] and it seems to work this way, but I'm not sure if it wouldn't also work with other values. That is, I'm not sure if this "3-Field" is unique up to "3-field isomorfism".

Am I making sense?
Thanks,
Damián.

Just for clarifying, I want to add what's the current "definition" I'm making for an "n-field".

An n-field is a set [itex] F [/itex] together with [itex] n \in \mathbb{N} [/itex] operations, let's call them [itex] +_1, +_2, \ldots, +_n [/itex] each satisfying:

Let [itex] a,b,c \in F [/itex], and [itex] 1 \leq i \leq n [/itex]

1) Associativity.
[itex] a +_i (b +_i c) = (a +_i b) +_i c [/itex]

2) Commutativity
[itex] a +_i b = b +_i a [/itex]

3) Existence of identity
There exists [itex] 0_i \in F [/itex] such that [itex] a +_i 0_i = a [/itex]

We also require [itex] 0_i \neq 0_j [/itex] for [itex] 1 \leq j < i [/itex]

4) Existence of inverses
For every [itex] a \in F [/itex] with [itex] a \neq 0_j [/itex] with [itex] 1 \leq j < i [/itex] there exists [itex] -a \in F [/itex] such that [itex] a +_i (-a) = 0_i [/itex]

5) Distributive over the last operation
For all [itex]a,b,c \in F [/itex], and [itex]2 \leq i \leq n [/itex] the following equality holds:
[itex] a +_i (b +_{i-1} c) = (a +_i b) +_{i-1} (a +_i c) [/itex]

-----​

For [itex]n=1[/itex] we use the notation [itex]+_1 = +[/itex] and the definition of the 1-field coincides with the definition of the commutative group [itex]F = (G,+)[/itex]

For [itex]n=2[/itex] we use the notation [itex] +_1 = + [/itex] and [itex]+_2 = \cdot [/itex], and we get the usual definition of the field [itex] (F, +, \cdot) [/itex]

For [itex]n=3[/itex] I'm using the notation [itex] +_1 = + [/itex], [itex]+_2 = \cdot [/itex] and [itex]+_3 = *[/itex], and is the first new case.

Damidami said:
Notice how [itex] (F,+,\cdot) [/itex] is the field [itex] F_3 [/itex], and how [itex] (\{1,e\}, \cdot, *) [/itex] is the field [itex] F_2 [/itex].
Ah right; I forgot to check the opposite parity. This should be the only case where (F,+,.) is finite with odd cardinality.

That is, I'm not sure if this "3-Field" is unique up to "3-field isomorfism".
Every 3-field isomorphism is a field isomorphism of the ordinary fields you get by forgetting the third operation.

If (F,+,.) is the field of 3 elements, then the only field automorphism of (F,+,.) is the identity -- so every 3-field automorphism of (F,+,.,*) is also the identity.

There is only one way to extend the group (F - {0},.) to a field (F - {0},.,*).

Therefore, the number of non-isomorphic 3-fields with 3 elements comes down to how many different ways you can assign values to 0*x.

For some reason I had convinced myself that defining 0*x=0 wouldn't work, but I guess you checked it out and it does. Have you checked 0*x=1? I don't know if there are any other options.

Damidami said:
I was thinking about some similarities in the definitions of group and field, and if it would be possible to generalize in some sense, like follows.

A field is basically a set F, such that (F,+) is a commutative group with identity 0, and (F-{0}, .) is a commutative group with identity 1, and . distributes over +, that is a.(b+c) = a.b + a.c

If I call n the number of operations in the algebraic structure, then n=2 for fields, if I set n=1 there is left only the first operation + (and no distributive law) so I get the definition of a commutative group.

Is it possible to generalize and get some consistent definition of an "n-field"? That is, for example, a 3-field has 3 operations (+, . ,*) with 3 distinct identities (0,1,e) such that (F-{0,1},*) is a commutative group with identity e and
1) a.(b+c) = a.b + a.c (. distributes over +)

I can't find any inconsistency, but neither can I construct an example of such a 3-field.

If it could be possible, one in principle could prove things about n-fields, and then letting n=2 one would get a proof about fields, and letting n=1 one would get a proof about commutative groups (that's the goal I had in mind).

Can anyone construct an example of a 3-field, or show is has no sense at all?
Thanks.

I'm not sure whether the following is what you're looking for but you can take any field K and look at the structure of vector space over any subfield F of K (for definitiness, take K = ℂ , F = ℝ).

Of course, the operation "multiplication by scalar" is not between elements of ℂ but between elements of ℝ and ℂ .

In the above case we have an algebra K over a field F.

Tonio

Hi DonAntonio,
Thanks for your answer.
I'm aware of those things, but it's different from what we are discussing here. In what we call a 3-field, the three binary operations have to be defined on the same set F, we use no external 'scalar' set, so that's a different issue.

1. What is the difference between a group and a field?

A group is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation that follows certain rules, such as closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. A field is a more specific type of group in which the binary operation is addition and multiplication, and it also follows the rules of commutativity and distributivity.

2. How are groups and fields used in real-world applications?

Groups and fields have many practical applications in various scientific fields, such as physics, computer science, and cryptography. They are used to model and analyze systems with symmetry, to encode and decode information, and to perform calculations in computer algorithms.

3. What is the significance of beyond groups and fields in mathematics?

Beyond groups and fields, there are other algebraic structures such as rings, modules, and vector spaces that are used to solve more complex mathematical problems. These structures build upon the concepts of groups and fields and allow for more advanced mathematical analysis and applications.

4. Can you provide an example of a group or field in everyday life?

One example of a group in everyday life is a Rubik's cube. The set of all possible configurations of the cube and the operation of turning the faces are the elements and binary operation, respectively. This group follows the rules of closure, associativity, identity, and invertibility. An example of a field in everyday life is the set of real numbers with the operations of addition and multiplication. This field follows the additional rules of commutativity and distributivity.

5. What are some open questions and research areas related to groups and fields?

Some open questions and research areas related to groups and fields include finding new groups and fields with specific properties, studying the connections between different algebraic structures, and applying group and field theory to open problems in other fields, such as physics and computer science. Another area of research is the development of algorithms for efficient computations in these structures.