Proving U(8) is not Isomorphic to U(10): Insights and Techniques

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of proving that U(8) is not isomorphic to U(10). The speaker realizes that in U(8), each element is its own inverse while in U(10), 3 and 7 are inverses of each other. They also mention a previous question they worked on involving finding automorphisms of Z_4. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that stating this fact in a formal way is sufficient to prove that U(8) and U(10) are not isomorphic.
k3N70n
Hi. Hoping a could have a little bit of guidance with this question

Show that U(8) is not isomorphic to U(10)

So far, I've realized that in U(8) each element is it's own inverse while in U(10) 3 and 7 are inverses of each other. I guess that's really all I need to say that they aren't isomorphic but my suspicion is that I should be stating this in a more formal way then a simple Cayley table.

Previously, I worked out a somewhat similar question where I had to find the automorphisms of Z_4. I said:
let f:Z_4 --> Z_4
and f(0)=0 (because the identity must be mapped to the identity by a theorem early proved)
then f(2) = f(1) + f(1)
f(3) = f(1) + f(2)

So then we have 4 cases for f(1)...[went on to show that if f(1) = 0 or 2 then f was not injective]

I was thinking something similar here may be appropriate but I'm not sure how to set it up. Thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I see nothing wrong with saying exactly what you did. If there exist an isomorphism from U(10) to U(8), then f(7) and f(3) must map into inverses: but what ever f(10) is, its inverse is itself: f(7) must equal f(3) contradicting the fact that it is an isomorphism.

Thanks HallsofIvy. I guess I was just trying to make the question harder than it really was.

1. What is U(8) and U(10)?

U(8) and U(10) are both mathematical groups known as units groups. They consist of all the positive integers less than 8 and 10, respectively, that are relatively prime to 8 and 10.

2. What does it mean for two groups to be isomorphic?

Two groups are isomorphic if there exists a bijective function between them that preserves their group structure. In simpler terms, it means that the two groups have the same number of elements and the same operations, but their elements may be labeled differently.

3. Why is it important to prove that U(8) is not isomorphic to U(10)?

Proving that two groups are not isomorphic helps us understand the unique properties and structures of each group. It also allows us to make connections and draw conclusions about different mathematical concepts and systems.

4. What are some techniques used to prove that U(8) is not isomorphic to U(10)?

One technique is to show that the two groups have different orders (number of elements). Another is to show that their elements have different properties, such as different orders of multiplicative inverses. Additionally, we can use the concept of cyclic subgroups and their orders to prove non-isomorphism.

5. Can U(8) and U(10) be isomorphic to each other in any other way?

No, U(8) and U(10) cannot be isomorphic to each other in any other way. This is because they have different orders and their elements have different properties, making it impossible for a bijective function to exist between them that preserves their group structure.