Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Growing culinary herbs

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    After some unexpected success with some basil (Ocimum basilicum) plants I bought for ~ $1 in a supermarket and, with very little effort, raised to a remarkable extent on my kitchen window board I consider raising some more usual herbs this way - esp
    • parsley,
    • rosemary,
    • thyme¹,
    • and dill

I'm not sure if is rural legend only, but our gardener, who had grown up on a farm, once told my parents that certain plants do not get along well with each others (for whatever reason).

Is any similar wisdom "known" about the herbs listed above "not getting along" with each others.
    Or - even worse - "mobbing" my precious basil?

¹No. No sage, this is not a Scarborough Fair tribute. :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

MarneMath

Education Advisor

It's true that some plants do well with others and some do terribly. For example, fennel is basically the death of every herb out there, but basil shouldn't be near rue, but should be near tomatoes. The herbs you listed should be fine together, but pay special attention to where you plant Rosemary, it needs a lot of sun.

*I may or may not have grown up on an avocado farm :)*

4. May 21, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

5. May 21, 2013 #4

turbo

Gold Member

My wife is a big fan of fresh rosemary. You could kill that stuff with a blowtorch, I suppose, but it seems bulletproof. Too much sun, too much rain, not enough of either?... rosemary is quite tolerant.

6. May 21, 2013 #5
    @Evo: Thx for that link and info!

I can understand that; I cannot resist e.g. fried small potatoes spiced with rosemary (although I'm on quite a low-carb way).

I once actually tried to grow tomatoes, but it would be futile trying to satisfy our need by own production; we prefer Mediterranean cuisine, so we need tomatoes for the side dish at least very second day.

7. May 22, 2013 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Quite welcome. The first time I planted it, the first year was amazing, then the second year it bolted and I wondered what I'd done wrong. Then I found out it has to be replanted. I didn't want you to go through that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook