Edible Fungi: Experiences & Crop Yields

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about growing edible fungi at home. It is difficult to grow fungi reliably and most fungi are parasitic and require a specific organism to grow on. However, there are kits available for growing mushrooms at home. The speaker used to grow mushrooms at home, but now has a damp and dark shed that would be ideal for growing other types of fungi.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Has anyone tried it, not just the common mushroom, i read some where
that some edible fungi grow on rotting wood, so if you have tried what
sort of crop did you get?

Physics news on Phys.org
I generally just close my eyes when I reach into the refrigerator and just hope I don't get sick. Does that count?

After all, I'm still alive so far.

Unfortunately, apart from the mushroom, it is very difficult to grow fungi reliably.
Most fungi are quite parasitic (on the root networks of some specific tree), and therefore, one cannot expect to be able to grow them apart from the organism it is parasitizing.

Last edited by a moderator:
We used to grow mushrooms at home, until dad wanted the shed
for other things, now i have an out house that is damp and dark,
ideal for growing mushrooms, i just though that i could some other
fungi as well.

1. What are edible fungi?

Edible fungi are types of mushrooms that are safe for human consumption and can be used in cooking.

2. What are some common types of edible fungi?

Some common types of edible fungi include button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and portobello mushrooms.

3. How do you grow edible fungi?

Edible fungi can be grown in a variety of ways, including on logs, in a controlled indoor environment, or in outdoor mushroom patches. The process typically involves creating a suitable growing medium, such as sawdust or straw, and inoculating it with mushroom spores.

4. What factors affect the yield of edible fungi?

The yield of edible fungi can be affected by various factors, including temperature, humidity, lighting, and the quality of the growing medium. Additionally, the type of mushroom being grown and the growing method used can also impact the yield.

5. Are there any risks or safety concerns associated with consuming edible fungi?

While most edible fungi are safe for consumption, it is important to properly identify and source the mushrooms before consuming them. Some mushrooms can be poisonous and may cause adverse reactions if consumed. It is always recommended to consult an expert or do thorough research before consuming any wild mushrooms.