Growing up in Silicon Valley

• Thread starter KL7AJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Silicon
In summary, Eric grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska and was impressed by the scientific environment there. He enjoyed working at Hipas Observatory and HAARP. He thinks that Silicon Valley could only have happened in Silicon Valley and that Fairbanks has many of the ingredients necessary, but not the critical mass.
KL7AJ
Fairbanks Alaska is a long ways from Palo Alto, California. I was born and raised pretty much right "down the barrel" of the Stanford Linear Accelerator. When I was in fifth grade at Las Lomitas Elementary school, our teacher, Mrs. Tendick, took us on a field trip of SLAC before it was finished...and I was warped forever.

Actually at the time, it was mostly Vacuum Tube Valley, and it was as well known for aeronautics as it was for electronics. Moffet Field was as prominent then as Apple Computer is now. My dad was an aeronautical engineer, designing helicopters at Hiller Helicopters, across the Bay, when there was almost nothing there. (Imagine that!)

In any case, being an impressionable young lad in such a rich scientific and technological environment was a privilege not everyone had...and I am eternally gratefull for that. I grew up knowing "how to do stuff."

I was never great at math as a kid, but I liked all the stuff you could do with it. My dad made me learn how to use a slide rule at the age of eight, which didn't hurt at all. But I was still more interested in making vile chemicals and slinging projectiles around than doing calculations.

After a few decades of public ho-hum about atom smashers and such, it's good to see SLAC back in the news again, and the potential of free electron X-ray lasers are grabbing everyone's attention. I think we Americans still have a few tricks up our sleeves that not every technological civilization has.

Life and circumstances took me away from Silicon Valley 40 years ago, but never far from science. I spent many years working at Hipas Observatory, here in Fairbanks (the predecessor to HAARP), as well as at HAARP itself, doing Auroral and Ionospheric research. I was saddened to see the decommissioning of both facilities (it looks like HAARP will suffer the wrecking ball before the year is out). We're still doing a lot of interesting ionospheric research here; we just had a very successful ionospheric rocket launch at Poker Flat early this year.

I don't know if I'm an elder statesman of science yet, but I do have a few years under my belt. If I would have any advice to give, it would be to never let the poetry out of physics. If you know what that means, you don't need any explanation...if you don't know what that means, no explanation can help, and you might be happier doing something else.

Almost anything pays better than scientific research...unless you win the Nobel Prize. To be a science researcher is to take a tacit vow of poverty...at least in most cases. There are some curious analogies between the lab and the monastery, by the way...perhaps not of them accidental. Think of monks like Sir Francis Bacon who was one of the fathers of the scientific method. Of course, science doesn't HAVE to be this way...but for a select few it probably does.

One of my favorite authors, Paul Graham, who wrote "Hackers and Painters," brought up the proposition that Silicon Valley could have only happened in Silicon Valley. There are well-defined clusters of innovators. You need a certain critical mass of minds to make some things happen. Fairbanks Alaska, curiously enough, has MANY of the ingredients necessary for a Silicon Valley...but not the critical mass...we're still a very small town. In terms relative to population, however, we have an abundance of science happening up here.

Anyway...just some random thoughts. Maybe some in this forum can identify.

Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, Eric! :smile:

Did you ever read the book "Fire in the Valley: The Making of the Personal Computer" by Freiberger and Swaine?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071358927/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's a great read if you get a chance. 73

Thanks. I'll have to read it...I spotted it on a friend's bookshelf a while back. :)

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, our paths have at least two points in common. I was born in Silicon Valley long before it was Silicon Valley (El Camino Hospital) and lived in Fairbanks for a year (took my junior year of chemistry there).

I loved Fairbanks, and the people there were wonderful. But an innovative environment needs more than just critical mass. I have to wonder if an economic powerhouse could ever grow out of a place where nature tries earnestly to kill you about 7 months a year. There are just so many serious matters to worry about. Something stupid like running out of gas could turn nasty and result in your early demise.

Well I lived there before cell phones, I guess that does change things a bit :biggrin:.

Yeah, we've had so many sad threads that clearly show that when you ultimately have to rely on public funding for your work and/or pay, you'll never be rich, nor secure (unfortunately).

I can definitely relate to your experiences growing up in Silicon Valley and being exposed to such a rich scientific and technological environment. It's amazing how much influence our surroundings can have on our interests and career paths. It's clear that you were lucky to have such a unique and inspiring upbringing.

I also appreciate your perspective on the current state of science and technology, and how it has evolved over the years. It's exciting to see SLAC back in the news and the potential of free electron X-ray lasers. And as you mentioned, it's important to never lose the poetry in physics and to always keep that sense of wonder and curiosity alive.

I can also relate to the idea of science and poverty, as it is unfortunately a common reality for many researchers. But as you mentioned, it doesn't have to be that way and there are certainly exceptions. It's also interesting to think about the similarities between the lab and the monastery, and how both require dedication, discipline, and a passion for the pursuit of knowledge.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences, and for reminding us of the importance of having a critical mass of minds and an environment conducive to innovation and scientific progress. Your story is a reminder that science and discovery can happen anywhere, as long as there is a passion and drive to pursue it.

1. What is it like to grow up in Silicon Valley?

Growing up in Silicon Valley is a unique experience. It is known for its fast-paced, tech-driven environment, and this definitely influences the way one grows up. There is a strong emphasis on innovation, entrepreneurship, and education, which can create a competitive and driven atmosphere. However, the area is also diverse and has a strong sense of community, providing opportunities for personal growth and cultural exposure.

2. What kind of opportunities are available for young people in Silicon Valley?

Silicon Valley is home to some of the biggest tech companies in the world, such as Google, Apple, and Facebook. This means that there are many opportunities for young people in fields such as technology, engineering, and entrepreneurship. There are also numerous prestigious universities in the area, offering top-notch education and research opportunities. Additionally, the area is known for its strong startup culture, providing opportunities for young people to innovate and create their own businesses.

3. How does growing up in Silicon Valley impact one's career prospects?

Growing up in Silicon Valley can have a significant impact on one's career prospects. The exposure to cutting-edge technology and a culture of innovation can inspire and motivate individuals to pursue careers in tech-related fields. Additionally, the strong emphasis on education and the abundance of top universities can provide a strong foundation for future career success. Moreover, the networking opportunities and connections made in Silicon Valley can open doors for job opportunities and career advancement.

4. What are some challenges of growing up in Silicon Valley?

While growing up in Silicon Valley has many advantages, it also comes with its own set of challenges. The high cost of living in the area can be a barrier for some families, making it difficult to afford housing, education, and other basic needs. The competitive nature of the area can also create pressure and stress for young people, as they may feel the need to constantly excel and succeed. Additionally, the fast-paced lifestyle may lead to a lack of work-life balance and burnout.

5. How has Silicon Valley changed over the years for young people?

Silicon Valley has changed significantly over the years, especially for young people. With the rise of technology and social media, the area has become even more fast-paced and competitive. The cost of living has also increased, making it more difficult for young people to afford living in the area. However, there are also more opportunities available now, with the growth of startups and the increasing demand for tech-related jobs. The culture of innovation and entrepreneurship has also become more ingrained in the community, providing more resources and support for young people to pursue their passions.