Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Growth at zero gravity and zero light

1. Feb 12, 2004 #1
    Hi Folks
    I am not sure if this is the right place to post please helep if you can :

Plants, trees, corn etc. all grow upwards, that is in the oppsite direction of the local gravitational field (here disregarding the effect of the sunlight).
    If I grow say wheat on a spinning old fashion record player, in total darkness, I should see the wheat growing in direction of the center, with an angle determined by the angular frequenzy and the distance from the center, I am about to perform that experiment.

I was then wondering if anyone knew what would happen if wheat was grewn in zero gravity AND in darkness ??
    Does anyone know of experiments performed ?

Regards
    Zero Gravity

Martin

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2004 #2
    It would be hard for photosynthesis to take place in the dark. Plants grow toward the sun in order to gain the energy needed to photosynthesize the light into glucose.

Nautica

4. Feb 15, 2004 #3
    During experiment, if the plant is not dependent on photosynthesis, then the tissue growth will probably take place in the direction of the effective force field. You may have to consider earth's gravity and the electromagnetic field (if any) along with the gyroscopic field on the disc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?