Growth/Decay Series: Deriving C=C1*r^n & C1*(1-r)^n

• Thread starter Swapnil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, a growth/decay series is a sequence of numbers that follows a specific pattern or rule of either increasing or decreasing. To derive the formula C=C1*r^n, one must understand the variables C, C1, r, and n. The term C1*(1-r)^n represents the decreasing pattern in a decay series and is used to calculate the value of C. This formula can be applied in real-life situations such as population growth or interest rates, but it has limitations such as assuming a constant growth/decay rate and not accounting for external factors.
Swapnil
If "C" starts with initial value "C1" and it grows or decays at the rate of "r" every "n" time, then the function that models the growth or the decay of "C" is [tex]C = C_1\cdot {(r)}^n [/tex] and [tex]C = C_1\cdot {(1-r)}^n [/tex], respectively. I know this makes sense but how do you derive such a forumla?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Swapnil said:
If "C" starts with initial value "C1" and it grows or decays at the rate of "r" every "n" time, then the function that models the growth or the decay of "C" is [tex]C = C_1\cdot {(r)}^n [/tex] and [tex]C = C_1\cdot {(1-r)}^n [/tex], respectively. I know this makes sense but how do you derive such a forumla?
Well let us do this by using some figures.

Lets say we have $100, and it increases in value at 5% per year.
[tex]C_1=100[/tex]
[tex]r=1.05[/tex]

Using
[tex]C = C_1\cdot {(r)}^n [/tex]

Therefore
[tex]C = 100\cdot {(1.05)}^n [/tex]

After one year it is
C=105

and so on...

Hopefully that helps

The way you have phrased it: " grows or decays at the rate of "r" every "n" times" your equations are not correct. "Growing at the rate of r" means "multiplied by r". "Every n times" means that that happens every nth step- everytime the variable, t say, is a multiple of n, there is another "whole" multiplication. If n= 5 and t= 15, there have been t/n= 15/5= 3 multiplications. taking t/n for general values of n allows for fractional periods. The formula for process that "increases or decreases by rate r every nth[/b] time" is
[tex]Cr^{t/n}[/tex] or [tex]C(1-r)^{t/n}[/tex]

If you mean "grows or decays at the rate r for a total of n times, then you are multiplying C by r (or 1- r) repeatedly: C, (C)r= Cr, (Cr)r= Cr2, (Cr2)r= Cr3, etc. The general term is Crn for growth and C(1- r)n for decay.

Sorry, its hard to put these things in words for me. Let me explain my question with the aid of an example that Random333 gave.

Say you have $100 dollars in a bank. It increases at the rate of 0.05 every year.

So at the end of the 1st year, the amount is:

[tex]A_1 = 100 + 0.05*100 = 105[/tex]

and at the end of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year the amount, respectively, is:

[tex]A_2 = 105 + 0.05*105 = 110.25 [/tex]

[tex]A_3 = 110.25 + 0.05*110.25 = 115.7625 [/tex]

[tex]A_4 = 115.7625 + 0.05*115.7625 = 121.550625[/tex]

My question is that how can we model this growth by the following formula:

[tex]A_n = A_0 (1+r)^n[/tex]

I mean, how did they derived such a formula?

Well, you have the relationship [itex]A_n = A_{n-1} * (1+r)[/itex], right? Well then, you can plug in that same formula for [itex]A_{n-1}[/itex] and get

[tex]A_n = (A_{n-2}*(1+r))*(1+r)=A_{n-2}*(1+r)^2[/tex]

and more generally,

[tex]A_n = A_{n-m}*(1+r)^m[/tex]

Plugging in [itex]n[/itex] for [itex]m[/itex] gives

[tex]A_n = A_{n-n}*(1+r)^n=A_0 *(1+r)^n[/tex]

1. What is a growth/decay series?

A growth/decay series is a sequence of numbers that either increases or decreases according to a specific pattern or rule.

2. How do you derive C=C1*r^n?

To derive the formula C=C1*r^n, you must first understand that C represents the current value, C1 represents the initial value, r represents the growth/decay rate, and n represents the number of time periods. To find the value of C, you multiply C1 by the growth/decay rate r, raised to the power of the number of time periods n.

3. What is the significance of C1*(1-r)^n in a growth/decay series?

The term C1*(1-r)^n represents the decreasing pattern in a decay series. It is derived from the formula C=C1*r^n, but with the growth/decay rate r subtracted from 1. This formula is used to calculate the value of C at any given time period in a decay series.

4. How do you apply the growth/decay series formula in real-life situations?

The growth/decay series formula can be applied in various situations, such as population growth, interest rates, or radioactive decay. For example, it can be used to predict the future population of a city or the value of an investment over time.

5. What are some limitations of the growth/decay series formula?

The growth/decay series formula assumes a constant growth/decay rate over time, which may not always be the case in real-life situations. It also does not take into account external factors that may influence the growth or decay of a certain quantity. Additionally, the formula may not accurately predict long-term trends or sudden changes in the growth/decay pattern.