Growth of Functions Homework | Solutions & Analysis

In summary: I arrive at ##\forall x \geq k_2 ~~~ h(x) \leq c_3g(x)## where ##c_3 = 1/c_2.##In summary, the two equations given for the different cases look very similar, you can transform them into each other. I don't understand your argument for (a).
emeraldskye177

Homework Statement

[/B]
upload_2017-3-25_12-2-0.png

upload_2017-3-25_12-2-59.png

Homework Equations

Provided in (1).

The Attempt at a Solution

I think (a) is no because, though ##c_1g > f,## the actual un-vertically-translated ##g## could be less than ##f,## meaning its lower bound ##c_2h < f## over ##c_2 \geq 1,## meaning ##h < f.## Am I correct on this?

(b) I think the answer is yes. Am I correct in saying, if ##f## is ##O(g),## then ##g## is necessarily ##Ω(f)##? But I'm not sure how to prove it...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your argument for (a).
If the answer is "no", you can find an explicit counterexample. You don't have to provide it to solve the question, but that way you can be sure that you got it right.

(b) while that is right, it is the opposite of what you want to show.
The two equations given for the different cases look very similar, you can transform them into each other.

mfb said:
I don't understand your argument for (a).
If the answer is "no", you can find an explicit counterexample. You don't have to provide it to solve the question, but that way you can be sure that you got it right.

(b) while that is right, it is the opposite of what you want to show.
The two equations given for the different cases look very similar, you can transform them into each other.
Hi, thanks so much for replying! I'll try to explain my answer to (a) better. What I'm saying is:

##g## can be less than ##f## for ##\forall x \geq k,## in which case ##g##'s lower bound ##c_2h## must be less than ##f## for ##\forall x \geq k'.##
If ##c_2h < f## then ##f > h## for ##c_2 \geq 1## so ##f## is not necessarily ##O(h).##

For (b), I must admit I'm not sure where to begin w.r.t. transforming the equations into each other. We were not presented an example like this in class. Could you lend a bit more help here? Thanks so much again.

emeraldskye177 said:
g can be less than f
But only in such a way that a constant can make it larger than f.
emeraldskye177 said:
If ##c_2h < f## then ##f > h## for ##c_2 \geq 1## so ##f## is not necessarily ##O(h).##
f>h does not rule out f in O(h).

Your approach won't work.
You could test some functions to see if you find a counterexample.
For (b), I must admit I'm not sure where to begin w.r.t. transforming the equations into each other. We were not presented an example like this in class. Could you lend a bit more help here? Thanks so much again.
Can you write down the two relevant relations (one given, one to show) explicitly? You should note a very similar structure.

mfb said:
f>h does not rule out f in O(h).
I must be missing something, but why wouldn't ##\forall x > k ~~~ f(x) > h(x)## mean ##f \notin O(h)##?
Can you write down the two relevant relations (one given, one to show) explicitly? You should note a very similar structure.
When I tried your suggested approach, this is what I got:

I'm given ##\forall x \geq k_2 ~~~ c_2h(x) \leq g(x),## so by dividing by ##c_2## I arrive at ##\forall x \geq k_2 ~~~ h(x) \leq c_3g(x)## where ##c_3 = 1/c_2.##

Is it that simple?

Last edited:
emeraldskye177 said:
I must be missing something, but why wouldn't ##\forall x > k ~~~ f(x) > h(x)## mean ##f \notin O(h)##?
Because it could also be the case that f(x)<2h(x) for x>k.
emeraldskye177 said:
I'm given ##\forall x \geq k_2 ~~~ c_2h(x) \leq g(x),## so by dividing by ##c_2## I arrive at ##\forall x \geq k_2 ~~~ h(x) \leq c_3g(x)## where ##c_3 = 1/c_2.##
Is it that simple?
Yes. (I presume you are given c2>0.)

haruspex said:
Because it could also be the case that f(x)<2h(x) for x>k.

Yes. (I presume you are given c2>0.)
Hi haruspex, thanks for replying.

(a) What I meant to say was this:

##g## can be less than ##f.## Therefore, ##g##'s lower bound ##c_2h## must be less than ##f## over ##\forall x \geq k_2.## Therefore, with ##c = c_2## and ##k = k_2## as witnesses, it is not necessarily the case that ##f \in O(h).##

Therefore, my answer to (a) is no. Is my answer correct?

(b) So when the question asks for proof (values for witnesses), I would say the witnesses are ##c = c_3 = 1/c_2## and ##k = k_2,## correct?

Thanks!

emeraldskye177 said:
##g## can be less than ##f.## Therefore, ##g##'s lower bound ##c_2h## must be less than ##f## over ##\forall x \geq k_2.##
"Can be" does not imply "must be". And you have to rule out the existence of any constant to show that f is not in O(h). It is not sufficient to give one constant where the inequality might be violated.

Your approach won't work, no matter how long you try to fix holes.
Looking for a counterexample is much easier.

b: Right.

mfb said:
"Can be" does not imply "must be". And you have to rule out the existence of any constant to show that f is not in O(h). It is not sufficient to give one constant where the inequality might be violated.

Your approach won't work, no matter how long you try to fix holes.
Looking for a counterexample is much easier.

b: Right.
I meant ##c_2h < f## when ##g < f## after ##x = k_2## (which is the point at which ##g > c_2h##). Sorry, I'm just trying to visualize the graphs in my head and think about the theory. I'm not sure how to come up with a counterexample...

For a counterexample: g is "larger than" in both comparisons. Just pick something growing very fast, then find f and h.

1. What is the purpose of studying growth of functions in computer science?

The purpose of studying growth of functions in computer science is to analyze the efficiency and performance of algorithms. By understanding how the runtime of an algorithm grows as the input size increases, we can make informed decisions about which algorithm to use in a given scenario.

2. How is the growth rate of a function determined?

The growth rate of a function is determined by looking at the behavior of the function as the input size approaches infinity. This is often denoted using Big O notation, which describes the upper bound of the growth rate.

3. How can we compare the efficiency of two algorithms using growth of functions?

By analyzing the growth rates of two algorithms, we can compare their efficiency by looking at which one has a lower growth rate. The algorithm with the lower growth rate will generally be more efficient for larger input sizes.

4. Can we use growth of functions to predict the runtime of an algorithm for a specific input size?

Yes, we can use growth of functions to make predictions about the runtime of an algorithm for a specific input size. However, it should be noted that these predictions are based on the assumption that the input size is sufficiently large.

5. What is the difference between worst-case, average-case, and best-case analysis in growth of functions?

Worst-case analysis looks at the maximum possible runtime for an algorithm, assuming the input is the most difficult or unfavorable. Average-case analysis considers the expected runtime for an algorithm, taking into account different possible inputs. Best-case analysis looks at the minimum possible runtime for an algorithm, assuming the input is the most favorable.