Find a Point for x=5: Help Appreciated | Direction Vector = (0,1)

• Thread starter thomasrules
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a point on the line x=5 and determining the direction vector for the line x+0y-5=0. The participants also discuss how setting x to 5 restricts the value of y, and how any point on the line can be represented as (5,a), where a is any real number. The conversation concludes with the understanding that both (5,0) and (5,6) are valid points on the line x=5.
thomasrules
for each of the following, find a point on each line:

x=5

:D LOl ok this is what i thought

x+0y-5=0

so direction vector=(0,1)

If I set x to 5 then y should = 0 shouldn't it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thomasrules said:
for each of the following, find a point on each line:

x=5

:D LOl ok this is what i thought

x+0y-5=0

so direction vector=(0,1)

If I set x to 5 then y should = 0 shouldn't it?

First think about what would happen if you didn't set x equal to 5, say you set x equal to 6 what happens?

You don't set x equal to 5, x is 5 period end of story, that is what you're given all points on that line are of the form (5,a) where a is any real number. You just need one point, I think you can figure it out from here.

yea I just saw at the back of the book it said (5,6) and I had no idea where that came from

READ the problem! It said "find a point on each line". How many points are there on a line? Since the equation is x= 5, obviously the first coordinate must be 5. What about the second coordinate? What does that equation tell you about y? How does that equation restrict y?

Your answer, (5, 0), is a perfectly good answer. So is (5, 6). So is
(5, 323121232344).

What does "Grrrr Help would be appreciated" mean?

"Grrrr Help would be appreciated" is a phrase often used to express frustration or annoyance and a request for assistance.

Why do people use "Grrrr Help would be appreciated"?

People use this phrase when they are facing a problem or difficulty and need help or support from others.

Is "Grrrr Help would be appreciated" a common phrase?

Yes, it is a common phrase used in both spoken and written communication to express frustration and ask for help.

Can "Grrrr Help would be appreciated" be interpreted differently?

Yes, the interpretation of this phrase can vary depending on the context and tone in which it is used. It can be seen as a polite request for assistance or a more forceful expression of anger and frustration.

How can I respond to someone using "Grrrr Help would be appreciated"?

You can respond by offering your help or asking for more information about the problem they are facing. It is important to be understanding and empathetic in your response.