Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRT answer to puzzle

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    Would it be possible for 2 identical objects to orbit their center of gravity in an otherwise empty universe?

I am guessing that the answer is no, but how would GRT address / answer that question?

Would the objects’ spins affect the answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on your time scale and precision. There is no such stable co-orbit in GR due to gravitational radiation. However, for ordinary bodies and time scales, you can show exactly how tiny the effects would be. I think the most rigorous approach to such a problem in GR would be the effective one body methods of : http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.3169

Yes, the spins would definitely have an impact.

4. Nov 14, 2013 #3
    Thanks for that paper. But it and your answer seem to pertain to the current universe - with many distant masses. What would be the answer "in an otherwise empty universe"?

5. Nov 14, 2013 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Exactly the same. In GR, distant masses have no effect on the motion of local masses.

6. Nov 14, 2013 #5

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think he's referring to Mach's principle. I don't know what Mach would say.

7. Nov 14, 2013 #6

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The effective one body methods apply precisely only in the case of two bodies alone in the universe.

8. Nov 15, 2013 #7
    yes, especially when not in the past lightcone of the local masses.....no causal connection .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook