1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

GRUB help

1. May 25, 2006 #1
    I have a computer dual booted with Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP. I only have Fedora on so I can learn how to use Linux and XP is my primary OS. Whenever I boot up it gives me a few seconds to choose between XP and Fedora otherwise it loads Fedora by default.

How do I change this to have it load XP by default?

thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2006 #2
    Boot up in Fedora, look for the file /boot/grub/grub.conf. That's the file that grub uses to generate the startup menu. (At least that's the filename in gentoo linux and Redhat 9; if you can't find that file, Fedora may name it differently. In some distributions it's called menu.lst.)

Open it in a text editor.

You should see a line that says
    "default 0" or "default 1"

You should also see a group of lines starting with
    "title=Fedora ..."
    and another group of lines beginning with
    "title=WindowsXP..."

The "0" or "1" relates to the corresponding set of operating system entries (0 refers to the first menu item, 1 refers to the 2nd menu item), so if Windows is listed first on your menu, you want "default 0" to boot Windows by default; alternatively, if Fedora is first on your menu, then you want "default 1" to default to Windows.

Just change the 1 to a 0, or the 0 to a 1, whichever applies, & save the file.

Last edited: May 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?