Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guardian: The Semantic Engineer

1. Apr 17, 2004 #1

FZ+

A review of a biography of Dennett, no less. Has some stuff on his life, and some on his philosophy. Quite interesting, in my opinion.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,1192975,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yeah that was special, wasn't it? I notice the article says he was born in Beirut, but the description below the article says New England.

4. Apr 17, 2004 #3
    I read it. I agree very interesting. I like how he said he was 'a Yankee optimist' rather catchy phrase.

I know Dennett is currently writing a new book called "Breaking The Spell", I will anticipate it greatly. Same with you?

5. Apr 18, 2004 #4
    Boy, that picture sure looks like it goes all the back to antiquity!

Oh, I like that. Isn't that the same thing as saying only our religion is the true religion? :biggrin:

I guess we all know where he stands on any notion of Creator now don't we?

6. Apr 18, 2004 #5
    Oh good another fundamentalist nutter who needs to prove to the world what he already 'knows' to be true anyway.

7. Apr 18, 2004 #6
    I think there's plenty of foolishness to go around for everyone, don't you?

8. Apr 18, 2004 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Calling names is futile. If you don't like somebody's ideas, then refute them if you can. I don't think the creator/non creator dialogue will ever end.

9. Apr 18, 2004 #8

FZ+

No, since the secular and scientific vision Dennett outlines is more or less the antithesis of what he considers to be religions. Notice the word 'vision', as opposed to principle, or dogma, or whatever. Vision here is a goal, an idea of how the world should be organised.

As he said: "The trouble with the word atheism is that there are so many different concepts of God it would be foolish to take them all on at once and say they are all rubbish."

He is saying that a secular world is one he would like to live in, and it would be the way our life and way of thought will evolve. He skirts carefully away from declaring any sort of absolute truth.

10. Apr 23, 2004 #9
    I found the sales pitch very interesting.

11. Apr 23, 2004 #10
    I think Dennett should be careful; he may end up getting what he's asking for...

I don't think we live in an ideal world, but I'm really wary of people who think the world would be better only if it were the way they think it should be. When they act on their ideas, those kinds of people usually end up making the world a lot worse than it is.

As far as I'm concerned, a secular world would not have the music of J. S. Bach. That alone would not make me want to live in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?