Wrong Forum: Help with Guass' Law & RC

In summary, the homework requires finding potential due to a charged line, determining the ratio of fields at the surface of two connected spheres, finding the capacitances of two concentric spheres, determining the new voltage when capacitors are connected in series and then in parallel, showing the relationship between charge on a capacitor and time when connected in series with a resistor, and calculating the energy needed for protons to circle the earth in a large cyclotron. The laws that may need to be applied include Gauss' Law, DC circuit analysis, and RC circuit analysis. Some attempt at solving the problems must be shown before assistance can be provided.
skyliner34
help me on these questions please~

srry ~ i posted wrong forum

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
skyliner34 said:
1. Find the potential due to a charged line of charge density lambda. the point of interest is on the axis of the line, and a distance afrom the near end of the lone . the line os of length b. the potential is: k lambda ln(a+b)/a).

2 Show that for two spheres connected by a conductor the ratio of the fields at the surface is given by E/e=r/R where one sphere has a radius R and Field E and the other sphere has a radius r and field e.

3. find the capacitances of two concentric spheres separated by a distance, d, small compared to their radius. show that the capacitance is approximatively the same as the capacitance of two parallel plates with the same area and separation: C= A(E)/d.

4. two capacitors 7.1x10^-6 farads and .000036 farads are connected in series and 10 volts is applied to the pair. the voltage is removed and the capacitors are connected in parallel, plus to plus. hat is the new voltage.

5. Show that the charge on a capacitor C connected in serries with a resistor R is given by Q=Q initial exp(-t/RC)

6. you plan to build a large, cheap cyclotron using the Earth's magnatic fields(1 E-4 t) and orbiting just above the earth;s atmospheres(radius 5.9 E6 m) what energy in volts, should protons be given to just circle the earth? q= 1.6 E-19 m clb, m = 1.67 E-27 kg.
This belongs in the Homework section and you must first show an attempt at a solution or at least tell us what problem you're having with solving it, i.e. where along the process of solving the problem did you get stuck and need some assitance?

Best wishes

Pete

pmb_phy said:
This belongs in the Homework section and you must first show an attempt at a solution or at least tell us what problem you're having with solving it, i.e. where along the process of solving the problem did you get stuck and need some assitance?

Best wishes

Pete

can you show me how to solve and which law should i apply for these questions?

skyliner34 said:
can you show me how to solve and which law should i apply for these questions?

As pmb_phy said, you need to show us some attempt before we can help you. But for now, I'll tell you that for the first question you need Gauss' Law and knowing the definition of voltage.

Homework Statement

1. Find the potential due to a charged line of charge density lambda. the point of interest is on the axis of the line, and a distance afrom the near end of the lone . the line os of length b. the potential is: k lambda ln(a+b)/a).

2 Show that for two spheres connected by a conductor the ratio of the fields at the surface is given by E/e=r/R where one sphere has a radius R and Field E and the other sphere has a radius r and field e.

3. find the capacitances of two concentric spheres separated by a distance, d, small compared to their radius. show that the capacitance is approximatively the same as the capacitance of two parallel plates with the same area and separation: C= A(E)/d.

4. two capacitors 7.1x10^-6 farads and .000036 farads are connected in series and 10 volts is applied to the pair. the voltage is removed and the capacitors are connected in parallel, plus to plus. hat is the new voltage.

5. Show that the charge on a capacitor C connected in series with a resistor R is given by Q=Q initial exp(-t/RC)

6. you plan to build a large, cheap cyclotron using the Earth's magnetic fields(1 E-4 t) and orbiting just above the earth;s atmospheres(radius 5.9 E6 m) what energy in volts, should protons be given to just circle the earth? q= 1.6 E-19 m clb, m = 1.67 E-27 kg.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so far i only know i hv to apply gauss law and DC and RC stuffs

What is Guass' Law?

Guass' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed electric charge.

How is Guass' Law related to RC circuits?

In RC circuits, Guass' Law can be used to determine the electric field between the plates of a capacitor, which affects the flow of current in the circuit.

What is the significance of understanding Guass' Law in RC circuits?

Understanding Guass' Law in RC circuits allows us to calculate the capacitance of the circuit and how the flow of current is affected by the electric field.

What are some common challenges in applying Guass' Law to RC circuits?

Some common challenges in applying Guass' Law to RC circuits include identifying the correct closed surface to use, determining the electric field in complex capacitor configurations, and taking into account the effects of dielectric materials.

Are there any practical applications of Guass' Law and RC circuits?

Guass' Law and RC circuits have many practical applications, including in electronics, telecommunications, and power distribution systems. They are also used in medical devices, such as pacemakers and defibrillators, to regulate the flow of electric current.