Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guassian elimination and Inverse Matrix

1. Feb 24, 2004 #1
    I'm still having trouble with Guassian elimination and finding the Inverse of a Matrix. I tend to get confused with the switching of the rows or factoring out something.

Example matrix

1 1 1 | 1
    1 1 -2 | 3
    2 1 1 | 2

so it's a system of linear equations and I must solve for x, y, and z.

I was wondering is someone could help show the steps in solving these matrices as well as explain finding the solution to the inverse matrix.

I know that to find the inverse, the Matrix must be dotted by the Identity matrix.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2004 #2
    never mind, I figured out how to do the inverse, but had to see it through a 2x2 matrix first. I'm still bad at doing the Guassian elimination matrix though unless I write out as a linear system of equations, but I don't want to keep on converting it to a linear system to solve..I just want to solve through matrix form.

4. Apr 10, 2004 #3
    Gaussian Elimination & Matrix Inverse

The basic process is to hold the first row first column element constant while getting the 1st col, 2nd & 3rd to zero. Remembering to join a matrix of the same dimension (n*n) as an adjoint i.e. n*2n cols. The goal: shift the three right columns to the left by repeating the process in the first sentence, only in the second column the middle integer is reduced to 1 while the numbers above and below are reduced to 0.

This is fairly simple on a three by three matrix, gets trickier the higher one goes i.e. 5*5. At times there is no inverse so don't chase for a no answer situation. Solutions of inverses can be found on the Web using Google.

5. Apr 11, 2004 #4
    May I ask how to find solutions on google? I'm still trying to figure out all of the wonderful aspects of the google calculator :). Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?