Guess the Equation: Euler's Identity

• Thread starter eprjenkins
  • Start date
In summary, Euler's Identity is a mathematical equation that relates five fundamental mathematical constants: e, π, i, 1, and 0. It was discovered by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in 1748, but there is evidence that it was known before his time. The significance of Euler's Identity lies in its beauty and its ability to demonstrate the interconnectedness of different branches of mathematics. The full equation is e^πi + 1 = 0 and it is often called "the most beautiful equation" due to its simplicity, elegance, and visual representation.
eprjenkins
Just like the maths question and answer game; except with guessing the names of famous equations/theorems etc.

Someone posts an equation and another identifies it. They then post their own equation.

Here is the first, an easy one:

[tex]e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Archimedes' non-equality.

Here's mine:
2+2=4

I got owned.

What is Euler's Identity?

Euler's Identity is a mathematical equation that relates five fundamental mathematical constants: e (the base of the natural logarithm), π (pi), i (the imaginary unit), 1 (the multiplicative identity), and 0 (the additive identity).

Who discovered Euler's Identity?

The identity is named after Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler, who first published it in 1748 in his book "Introductio in analysin infinitorum". However, there is evidence that the equation was known to mathematicians before Euler's time.

What is the significance of Euler's Identity?

Euler's Identity is considered one of the most beautiful and profound equations in mathematics. It relates seemingly unrelated mathematical constants and demonstrates the interconnectedness of different branches of mathematics. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

What is the full equation of Euler's Identity?

The full equation is eπi + 1 = 0.

Why is Euler's Identity often called "the most beautiful equation"?

Euler's Identity is often called "the most beautiful equation" because of its simplicity, elegance, and the way it connects seemingly unrelated concepts in mathematics. It also has a visually appealing geometric representation, known as the "Euler's Identity spiral".