Glimpsing a Mysterious Whizzing Object in the Night Sky

In summary: It is noticeably close to Earth, just to the left of the moon, and is a great sight to view in the night sky.
alias25
i saw summin last night it whoosshed past, i was just looking out the window at the stars it was a really clear night and then i saw it i don't kno what it was a comet? or a rock or something falling to earth. but it made me feel better, i was feeling upset before. around quarter to 9.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Time watching the night sky is time well spent.

Not a comet...actually a meteor.

yep ur right. i never saw anything like it beofre though.

I, myself, have recently been watching the sky in awe, I have rediscovered a love of looking at the night sky that I developed as a child. It was the thrill of seeing a particularly bright point in the sky and suspecting that it wasn't a star before finding out that it was Mars that did it for me though.

o i saw something orange like bright star. could it have been mars? but i thought u can't see it with naked eye

alias25 said:
o i saw something orange like bright star. could it have been mars? but i thought u can't see it with naked eye

You can see Mars comfortably with the naked eye. Mars isn't too far from the Pleiades at the moment if that helps.

yesss i did see Mars i saw that pleiades u sed, it looks a bit like a saucepan, and it kept twinkling a lot could be cause of the clouds, is pleiades quite isolated from other constellations? cause the one i saw near that orange object was

A few weeks visibilty of Mars was excelent just to the left of the moon however with all the hype about it being so large and close to Earth lately i thought it would be brighter than i actually saw but it still was awesome to look at
its nice to go to the cottage and get awya from the city lights were u can lookup in the night sky and see shooting stars and satellites every few minutes

alias25 said:
yesss i did see Mars i saw that pleiades u sed, it looks a bit like a saucepan, and it kept twinkling a lot could be cause of the clouds,

Stars appear to twinkle because the starlight reaching your eye has been buffeted around (refracted) by the Earth's turbulent atmosphere. This effect is more pronounced when the star is near the horizon (more atmosphere to go through compared to a star directly overhead).

is pleiades quite isolated from other constellations? cause the one i saw near that orange object was

Perhaps you mean "star cluster" rather than "constellation"? Yes, under typical urban/suburban skies (where light pollution from city lights drowns out many of the fainter views in the night sky) you won't see other similar clusters immediately around the Pleiades.

Mars is a particularly bright orange color over these few weeks (rising in the east around 9 pm and high in the eastern sky by midnight).

1. What could the mysterious whizzing object be?

The mysterious whizzing object could be a meteor, satellite, or even an unidentified flying object (UFO).

2. How can I identify the mysterious whizzing object?

You can identify the mysterious whizzing object by observing its speed, trajectory, and any visible characteristics such as a tail or flashing lights. You can also use a sky map or a stargazing app to track the object's location and determine if it is a known satellite or celestial event.

3. Why is the mysterious whizzing object only visible at night?

The mysterious whizzing object is most likely only visible at night because it reflects light from the sun, making it easier to see against the dark sky. During the day, the object may still be present but is not as noticeable due to the bright sunlight.

4. Are there any dangers associated with the mysterious whizzing object?

In most cases, the mysterious whizzing object is not dangerous. However, if it is a large meteor or asteroid, there is a possibility of it entering the Earth's atmosphere and causing damage. If you are unsure of the object's identity, it is best to observe from a safe distance.

5. Can I track the mysterious whizzing object's path?

Yes, you can track the mysterious whizzing object's path by using a stargazing app or website. These tools can provide information on the object's current location, trajectory, and estimated time of visibility. You can also use a telescope or binoculars to follow the object's movement in the sky.