Guess what it is?

• Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date
Can you guess what's the cause of most of the preventable deaths around the world?

Answers and Replies

Pythagorean
Gold Member
smoking?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Don't need to guess. Looked it us with Google in 3 seconds.

Don't need to guess. Looked it us with Google in 3 seconds.
Wiki says worldwide, it's hypertension.

What's interesting to me is that in the U.S. this study says it's obesity:

http://www.examiner.com/article/res...is-now-leading-cause-of-preventable-death-u-s

Worldwide, obesity is way down on the list.

Also, from the above link,
They write that the shift in the relative impact of obesity and smoking has been caused both by a reduction, since 1993, in the number of Americans who smoke and an increase, during the same period, in the number of people who are obese.
There's an implication that people who quit smoking turned to food.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I find it incredibly depressing that malnutrition and obesity are both in the top ten.

I find it incredibly depressing that malnutrition and obesity are both in the top ten.
Yes, but note that the majority of people worldwide end up dying from non-preventable old age:

It is estimated that of the roughly 150,000 people who die each day across the globe, about two thirds—100,000 per day—die of age-related causes.[2] In industrialized nations the proportion is much higher, reaching 90%.[2] Thus, albeit indirectly, biological aging (senescence) is by far the leading cause of death. Whether senescence as a biological process itself can be slowed down, halted or even reversed, is a subject of current scientific speculation and research.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Yes, but note that the majority of people worldwide end up dying from non-preventable old age:
I know, it's just the stupidity of a world where some people die from lack of food whilst others die from too much food.

I know, it's just the stupidity of a world where some people die from lack of food whilst others die from too much food.
I must agree.

turbo
Gold Member