Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guesses from great minds

1. Apr 17, 2007 #1
    On the news I heard that there is a web site that is taking bets on when global warming (I think it was betus or something like that)will put areas under water. News around here because Hatteras and Cape Henry are being bet on 200 to 1 and have higher elevation then 3/4 of the rest of the Tidewater area.
    My question is:
    How do you feel about that?
    and
    Do you live in an area that could/would be effected.

edit: They said it was 150 to 1 that Manhattan would be flooded.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2007 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I live in a city built on reclaimed saltmarsh, and before the embankments went up, tides had been known to flood about 5 miles inland during storms (my house is about 3 miles inland). I'm tempted to place a bet as a kind of insurance policy so I can afford to move when the banks break :wink:

4. Apr 26, 2007 #3

Mk

I live in a place that was completely underwater in the Cambrian, through Devonian, so, you can see how worried I am about it.

5. Apr 26, 2007 #4
    Very many people live in a city that has a completely different logic about sealevel and warming:

http://geology.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/30/4/379

For the record the sealevel was supposed to have risen only as of 80,000 years ago due to the warming of the ice age ending.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?