Is global warming putting cities at risk of being flooded?

• Thread starter vadslram
  • Start date
In summary, a website is taking bets on when global warming will put areas under water. The news around here is that Hatteras and Cape Henry are being bet on 200 to 1 and have higher elevation then 3/4 of the rest of the Tidewater area. Some people living in these areas are worried about it.
vadslram
On the news I heard that there is a website that is taking bets on when global warming (I think it was betus or something like that)will put areas under water. News around here because Hatteras and Cape Henry are being bet on 200 to 1 and have higher elevation then 3/4 of the rest of the Tidewater area.
My question is:
How do you feel about that?
and
Do you live in an area that could/would be effected.

edit: They said it was 150 to 1 that Manhattan would be flooded.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I live in a city built on reclaimed saltmarsh, and before the embankments went up, tides had been known to flood about 5 miles inland during storms (my house is about 3 miles inland). I'm tempted to place a bet as a kind of insurance policy so I can afford to move when the banks break :wink:

I live in a place that was completely underwater in the Cambrian, through Devonian, so, you can see how worried I am about it.

Very many people live in a city that has a completely different logic about sealevel and warming:

http://geology.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/content/abstract/30/4/379

Beijing inundated by the sea within the past 80 k.y.: Nannofossil evidence
Wuchang Wei

Examination of published data reveals that a marine bed in Beijing can be dated as 80 ka or younger on the basis of abundant nannofossils. This age is 30 times younger than that published previously on the basis of magnetostratigraphic and biostratigraphic interpretations. The abundant nannofossils and foraminifers suggest that Beijing was inundated by the sea within the past 80 k.y. The very recent nature of this marine transgression has profound societal and geological implications and thus calls for new studies and thorough evaluation of all relevant data sets

For the record the sealevel was supposed to have risen only as of 80,000 years ago due to the warming of the ice age ending.

1. What is the concept behind "Guesses from great minds"?

"Guesses from great minds" is a popular scientific activity where individuals are challenged to come up with creative and logical solutions to scientific problems and questions. It is based on the idea that great minds think alike and by combining different perspectives and ideas, we can come up with innovative solutions.

2. Who can participate in "Guesses from great minds"?

Anyone with an interest in science and a desire to problem-solve and think creatively can participate in "Guesses from great minds". It is a fun and engaging activity for individuals of all ages and backgrounds.

3. How does "Guesses from great minds" encourage critical thinking?

The activity of "Guesses from great minds" encourages critical thinking by challenging individuals to think outside the box and come up with unique solutions to scientific problems. It also promotes the use of logic and reasoning to support one's ideas.

4. Are there any prizes for participating in "Guesses from great minds"?

While "Guesses from great minds" is primarily a fun and educational activity, some organizations may offer prizes for individuals or teams with the most creative and innovative solutions. However, the true reward is the satisfaction of participating and contributing to scientific thinking and problem-solving.

5. What are the benefits of participating in "Guesses from great minds"?

Participating in "Guesses from great minds" can have many benefits, such as improving critical thinking skills, promoting teamwork and collaboration, and fostering innovation and creativity. It is also a fun and engaging way to learn about different scientific topics and concepts.