Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guessing the quotient of

1. Feb 8, 2004 #1
    If I have an equivalence relation acting on all integers (Z): a ~ b if any only if 3a + b is a multiple of 4, then here is what I think the quotient set is:

The equivalence class of 0 = {x belongs to Z | x ~ 0} = {x | 3x = 4n for some integer n}. (The set would look like {0, 4, 8, 12, 16...}.)

The equivalence class of 1 = {x belongs to Z | x ~ 1} = {x | 3x + 1 = 4n for some integer n}. (The set would look like {1, 5, 9, 13, 17...}.)

The equivalence class of 2 = {x belongs to Z | x ~ 2} = {x | 3x + 2 = 4n for some integer n}. (The set would look like {2, 6, 10, 14, 18...}.)

The equivalence class of 3 = {x belongs to Z | x ~ 3} = {x | 3x + 3 = 4n for some integer n}. (The set would look like {3, 7, 11, 15, 19...}.)

So based on that, I conclude that there are 4 elements in the quotient set. Each element contains one of the sets above.

Am I accurate here? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you are correct. And did you notice that the equivalence classes are precisely the equivalence classes "mod 4"? Since 3 and 4 are relatively prime, If 3x is divisible by 4, then x is divisible by 4: if 3a and b are congruent mod 4, then so are a and b.

4. Feb 8, 2004 #3
    I just realized something. Don't I need to include negative numbers as well?

5. Feb 8, 2004 #4
    Nevermind, I already took care of them didn't I?

6. Feb 8, 2004 #5
    Also, for another problem: a^2 - b^2 acting on Z (a ~ b)...

Is the partition for this problem going to be split into two parts:
    1. Numbers that are multiples of 3 (0, 3, 6, 9, 12...)
    2. Numbers that are not multiples of 3 (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8...)

(Also, is -3 considered a multiple of 3? I'm getting myself confused here...lol...)

Am I accurate again here?

Thank you for your help.

7. Feb 9, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly, is the problem?
    "a^2 - b^2 acting on Z (a ~ b)..." are you saying that a~b if and only if a^2- b^2= 0? Or are a and b the equivalence classes defined before?

In either case I don't see what being a multiple of 3 has to do with anything.

(And, yes, -3 is a multiple of 3. When you are including negative numbers, a is a multiple of b if and only if a= nb for some integer n.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?