1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guessing the shape of curves

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    This is from Spivak's Calculus.
    In an appendix, he defines polar coordinates. One of the exercises in this appendix is showing that the lemniscate, whose polar equation is:
    r^2=2(a^2)*cos(2theta)
    is the set of points P that satisfy that the product of the distances from said point to two fixed points (-a,0) and (a,0) is "a" squared. This is an excercise from that appendix:
    Make a guess about the shape of the curves formed by the set of all points P that satisfying d_1*d_2=b, when b>a^2 and when b<a^2.
    I'm helpless at this part. I've shown that the curves will be symmetrical with the origin as center of symnmetry and that the first one intersects both the x and y axes twice each while the second one intersects the x-axis four times whithout intersecting the y-axis at all.
    Is there any easy way of picturing these curves that's been eluding me?
    I apologise for my Latex iliteracy.
    Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Did Spivak say what d_1 and d_2 were?

4. Jan 16, 2012 #3
    Yes d1 was the distance from the point (-a,0) to a point in the curve P(x,y) and d2 is the distance from the point (a,0) to the same point.

I could graph the curves only because I typed the equations on Wolfram. Is there any algebraic/geometric argument I could use to graph them without a plotter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook