Learn the Art of Indexology: A Guide to Writing Lagrangians with Tensors

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of indexology, which is the art of writing a Lagrangian by knowing the dimensions and how to contract tensors. The speaker is looking for more information and references on this technique, specifically on isotropic tensors. Some resources mentioned are a book on topological insulators and a PDF, but the speaker is still seeking more details. Google search results are recommended as a potential source for information on isotropic tensors.
taishizhiqiu
I recently read that indexology is the art of writing a Lagrangian by just knowing how many dimensions it has and how to contract tensors. I am very interested in this technique, but I cannot find any reference. Can anyone give me a guidance or a reference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Um... You read this where? You might get a scalar from this. But a Lagrangian has to satisfy a few more conditions than just being a scalar.

taishizhiqiu said:

Actually, the first one does help. It talks about the other conditions a Lagrangian must satisfy for an electromagnetic field. That is, you need more than just the dimension and how to contract tensors.

DEvens said:
Actually, the first one does help. It talks about the other conditions a Lagrangian must satisfy for an electromagnetic field. That is, you need more than just the dimension and how to contract tensors.
Oh, I think I didn't express myself clearly.

The first book is where I first read about indexology and that's why I asked such a question.

I basically understand the technique. What I want to know is more details. For example, I don't know why only ##\delta_{\alpha\beta}## and ##\epsilon_{\mu\nu\lambda}## is the only two isotropic tensors and I don't even know what are isotropic tensors. That's why I am here asking for reference.

taishizhiqiu said:
I basically understand the technique. What I want to know is more details. For example, I don't know why only ##\delta_{\alpha\beta}## and ##\epsilon_{\mu\nu\lambda}## is the only two isotropic tensors and I don't even know what are isotropic tensors. That's why I am here asking for reference.

Google is your friend.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/IsotropicTensor.html
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/reh10/lectures/nst-mmii-chapter3.pdf
http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~rhorsley/SI12-13_socm/lec08.pdf
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/isotropic-tensors.106292/

1. What is indexology?

Indexology is a mathematical framework used in physics and engineering to write equations that describe the behavior of physical systems. It involves the use of tensors and indices to represent quantities such as forces, velocities, and accelerations.

2. Why is learning indexology important?

Understanding indexology is crucial for scientists and engineers because it allows them to write complex equations in a concise and elegant way. It also helps in solving problems in fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

3. What is a Lagrangian?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that summarizes the dynamics of a physical system. It is typically written in terms of the system's coordinates and their derivatives and can be used to derive the equations of motion of the system.

4. How can tensors be used in writing Lagrangians?

Tensors are used in indexology to represent physical quantities and their relationships. In writing Lagrangians, tensors are used to describe the behavior of a system and its components, such as particles, fields, and forces.

5. Is knowledge of advanced mathematics required to learn indexology?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is necessary, indexology can be learned by anyone with a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. With practice and patience, anyone can master the art of indexology and use it to solve complex physical problems.