1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guidance in Mathematical Physics

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    Hey all, in need of some advice.

I'm currently at UWO going into second year. I'm enrolled in an Astrophysics and Pure Mathematics program, and need to choose which courses I need to take, specifically math courses, for my future.

I have a 4.0 and am strong in math. I'm wondering which math's and which topics in math will help me later on. Like which topics are best for someone aiming for graduate studies in mathematical/theoretical physics?

I emailed a renowned theoretical physicist (to remain unnamed) and he told me to basically focus on fourier analysis, differential equations, integration methods, functions in the complex plane, special functions and their properties, etc.

Should I just focus on those?
    The senior courses right now I'm looking at are:
    Ordinary Differential Equations
    Real Analysis
    Intermediate Linear Algebra
    Discrete Structures
    Abstract Algebra
    Group Theory
    Metric Space Topology
    Complex Analysis
    General Topology
    Field Theory
    Lebesgue Integrals and Fourier Series
    Rings and Modules
    Algebraic Topology
    Algebraic Geometry
    4th-year Multivariable Calculus

A lot of these are intertwined. Which ones should I focus on, which should I drop, what courses would be wise to add? In my physics, I'm taking the obvious EM, Quantum, Classical Mechanics, Classical Field Theory, General Relativity etc.

I enjoy math very much and just need some guidance on my future academics. I have limited space to fit in 4 years (I may consider a 5th year, as the master's program I'm looking at is a 1 year intensive program). I want the best amount of tools I can get. Should I take a fifth year?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted