1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guide me

1. Dec 16, 2007 #1
    plz guide me....urgent

i just read the thread abt difference in chemists and chem engnr....... thre waz a very gud reply from mr jacone.... i m also confused in 1 thing... m studing in new york ... here in my university there are two majors related to chemistry and engineering ... one is ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY (BS) and other is CHEMICAL AND MOLECULAR ENGINEERINg (BE) ......... now m very consufed i want to be a petrochemical process engineer....... can anyone plzz explain to me abt this...... thanks alot...
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2007 #2
    Well I guess either could help but I think you're more looking for Chemical Engineering over Engineering Chemistry
  4. Dec 16, 2007 #3
    thnkx for replying ........ can u plz explain me the difference b/w them.
  5. Dec 16, 2007 #4
    If you don't learn to write you won't be successful at any intellectual job.
  6. Dec 17, 2007 #5
    rehana, People in these forums do not respond well to short forms of words such as "plz" and "thnkx".
    In the future take the time to write your words and sentences properly and more people will take the time to give you your answers.

In any even I think the best person to talk to would be your academic advisor in your University, as they know the specifics of the courses you are talking about.
  7. Dec 17, 2007 #6
    M sorry... thanks alot for your advise
  8. Dec 17, 2007 #7
    You guys should be a little more nicer to him - perhaps he's still in the process. If you want to criticize him, do it in a way where it will encourage him.

While you're right about someone having a hard time succeeding in a job where someone lacks the fundamental writing/reading/interpersonal skills, let him know it in a way where you're not belittling him.
  9. Dec 17, 2007 #8
    Check whether one or both of the programs are ABET accredited engineering programs. You noted that the Chemical & Molecular program is a "BE" degree - does this indicate a Bachelors of Engineering? From the names, I would assume the Engineering Chemistry degree was the engineering program, but maybe it's the other way around. Ideally, you want to take the one that sets you up to be eligible to get a Professional Engineer license.

It's rather depressing that students make it as far as college without meeting elementary school literacy standards. Most any serious job will require better than that.

Not to belittle you, but you might want to look at that sentence.
  10. Dec 17, 2007 #9

Science Advisor

I would be a bit leery of a degree labeled as "BE." All undergraduate and graduate engineering degrees I have ever seen were bachelors/masters of science. I'm not saying it doesn't exist with an accredited program, but it is a red flag.
  11. Dec 17, 2007 #10
    A lot of ours are labeled BS*E for Bachelors of Science in ____ Engineering...the naming goes all over the place. Just make sure it's accredited and you're eligible to take the FE & PE exams.
  12. Dec 17, 2007 #11
    Here at the university of Alberta, all the engineering programs are BE's. I think it varies from place to place.
  13. Dec 17, 2007 #12
    Thanks to all members for helping me. I think this forum is very helpful for any thing related to science.
  14. Dec 17, 2007 #13
    My problem is that in state university of New York, both BE chemical and molecular engineering and BS engineering chemistry are offered. I want to be petrochemical engineer. so what you think will be most suitable for me. BS bachelor's of science or BE bachelor's of engineering. thank you
  15. Dec 17, 2007 #14

Staff: Mentor

My university offered a Doctorate of Engineering which was less rigorous, mathematically and scientifically, than a PhD. The DE included a number of courses in business and technology management, so it was suited for someone who was interested in management rather than rigorous scientific work. If one wants to do the research, the get a BS. If one wants a less rigorous technical program, do the BE.

I would suggest comparing the courses in both curricula to determined what differences exist in the math, science and engineering courses.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?