Guide to obtaining research funding or grant writing?

In summary, the sources and process of finding funding opportunities in the hard sciences vary depending on field and sub-field, and also on the country you are seeking funding in. It is important to have someone with experience and success in grant-writing to guide you through the process, as there are strict guidelines and criteria that need to be met. Additionally, effective communication skills are crucial in order to clearly present your research and proposals.
mfig
Hello,

I am looking for advice on where to go to find funding opportunities in the hard sciences, and how to go about the application prcess once a source is identified. I know that is pretty general, but my knowledge is at the beginner's level.

I would take links to websites that talk about funding sources, how to apply, how to write a good application, etc. I have come across many that seem like scams. I would also read a book on these matters, if anyone knows of a good book that covers such topics.

Thank you for any input you have.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The sources and process vary widely depending on field and sub-field. You don't include any specific information, so no specific advice can be given here. Your university department is your best friend, however. Professors in your department and its chairperson know appropriate funding sources for your specialty and are familiar with the grant-writing process. The latter can be daunting since you need to provide a survey of the state-of-art in your field, define your problem, propose your method, establish your credentials, estimate deliverables and costs, etc., not to mention having copy facilities, contracts officers, and mail-rooms to handle the nuts and bolts. If you work at a company that performs outside-funded R&D, all the same comments apply. Note that each agency has its own requirements for format, organization, supporting documentation, page count, etc. so there's really no specific advice or source that can be given here as already noted.

Funding agencies generally want to see a track record of capability even from a new applicant. Your department's or group's reputation based on past work, and access to equipment and facilities, are important in this regard. As a result, the chances of getting funding are near zero if you are just a "private citizen" working on your own from your home. Sorry to sound negative, but you might as well know the score before you start.

Since you indicate a "beginning" state of knowledge, I can recommend a paperback published by the American Meteorological Society called Eloquent Science that covers how to clearly communicate science concepts verbally, in writing and in a presentation. Examples are taken from the meteorology field but the advice on how to construct a scientific paper or talk are universal and are very well presented. It may help you communicate effectively regardless of what your future holds.

Last edited:
marcusl said:
The sources and process vary widely depending on field and sub-field.

And country.

marcusl said:
You don't include any specific information, so no specific advice can be given here.

Agreed. It's perhaps worth pointing out that proposals need to include all the necessary information.

mfig said:
Hello,

I am looking for advice on where to go to find funding opportunities in the hard sciences, and how to go about the application prcess once a source is identified. I know that is pretty general, but my knowledge is at the beginner's level.

I would take links to websites that talk about funding sources, how to apply, how to write a good application, etc. I have come across many that seem like scams. I would also read a book on these matters, if anyone knows of a good book that covers such topics.

Thank you for any input you have.

As has been stated, you have to clarify WHERE in the world you are seeking such funding.

In the US, major funding in physics comes from the NSF and DOE. You cannot seek funding from these agencies walking in off the street. You have to be registered by your institution and given an identifier.

Secondly, it is often a senior or another faculty member who has had previous success in seeking such funding that will help and guide you in writing the proposal. In my case, it was my postdoc supervisor. So there has to be someone THERE to help you through this.

Finally, each institution that is registered with, say, the NSF, will have an office or staff whose sole function is to help you writing the proposal and follow the very strict guidelines that each proposal and agency requires. Your proposal may be rejected outright simply on technicality on the very first round (such as exceeding page limit, let's say) without even getting to the merit evaluation part. In the case of NSF, there are even more criteria and requirements that you must have, since the agency is mandated to fulfill certain goals and strategies. These guidelines are not easy, and there has to be someone trained in understanding these criteria to help you. Even long-time faculty members need help from these folks, since the guidelines can change from year to year, and can change depending on the type of funding.

I don't know of anyone who has done this on his/her own, and be successful.

Zz.

Indeed, the NSF makes awards to universities, not individuals. You're right that ithout a sponsored research office it's hard to get an award, but without one it's also impossible to spend one.

marcusl said:
Since you indicate a "beginning" state of knowledge, I can recommend a paperback published by the American Meteorological Society called Eloquent Science that covers how to clearly communicate science concepts verbally, in writing and in a presentation. Examples are taken from the meteorology field but the advice on how to construct a scientific paper or talk are universal and are very well presented. It may help you communicate effectively regardless of what your future holds.

Eloquent Science: A Practical Guide to Becoming a Better Writer, Speaker, and Atmospheric Scientist 2nd Edition,
by David Schultz (Author)

Cheese and crackers! $54 Cdn for the Kindle edition. Hmm... Ok.

While I was there I picked up this one.

Writing Science: How to Write Papers That Get Cited and Proposals That Get Funded 1st Edition by Joshua Schimel (Author)

Aside from what has already been said, I think there is one overarching roadmap for writing a proposal that applies well to basically any STEM field and gives some high-level guidance on what to address. I am specifically talking about the Heilmeier catechism. Otherwise, all of the above is correct.

My perspective on research funding is a bit different, since my funding has been dominated by Department of Defense interests and industry sources. These sources are not interested in so much in fundamental physics, but rather they usually have some practical need that they need solved quickly.

Convince them you can meet their need quickly and tell them how much it will cost. If they believe you and don't have another way to solve their problem, they will write you a check. Earn a good reputation by solving the problems as you have promised, and the work and checks will keep coming.

You’ve done this as an unaffiliated individual?

marcusl said:
You’ve done this as an unaffiliated individual?

Most of my research funding from DoD and private companies in the defense industry has been through a small consulting company owned by my wife and I - literally a mom and pop shop. It has been my only affiliation since leaving the Air Force Academy in 2013 and is listed on lots of my published papers. In the relevant fields of blast and ballistics, most of the important players know my wife and I by name, but they probably don't even remember the name of our company. Even before I left the Air Force Academy, the consulting company was raking in the research dough at a much higher rate (six figures per year) than I was getting in my official capacity as Air Force Academy faculty (four to five figures a year).

It undoubtedly helped that you were a known player before you began consulting.

1. What is the purpose of a guide to obtaining research funding or grant writing?

A guide to obtaining research funding or grant writing is a resource that provides step-by-step instructions and tips for researchers on how to secure funding for their projects. It outlines the process of grant writing and offers guidance on how to develop a strong research proposal that will increase the chances of receiving funding.

2. Who can benefit from using a guide to obtaining research funding or grant writing?

A guide to obtaining research funding or grant writing can benefit any researcher or research team looking to secure funding for their projects. This includes scientists, academics, graduate students, and other professionals in the field of research.

3. What are the key elements of a successful research proposal?

A successful research proposal should include a clear and concise research question, a detailed methodology, a strong justification for the research, a realistic budget, and a well-organized and persuasive writing style. It should also demonstrate the significance and potential impact of the research.

4. How can a guide to obtaining research funding or grant writing help improve the chances of receiving funding?

A guide to obtaining research funding or grant writing can help improve the chances of receiving funding by providing valuable insights and tips on how to develop a strong research proposal. It can also offer advice on how to identify potential funding sources, tailor the proposal to meet their specific requirements, and effectively communicate the significance and impact of the research.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when writing a research proposal?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a research proposal include not following the guidelines and instructions provided by the funding agency, not clearly stating the research question or objectives, not providing enough detail in the methodology, and not adequately justifying the significance and potential impact of the research. It is also important to proofread and edit the proposal for any spelling or grammatical errors.