Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guidelines not showing up

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1

Diane_

Homework Helper

My apologies if I should've added this to another thread. I've posted three or four times already and I haven't seen hide nor hair of the forum guidelines. I was assuming that they hadn't been implemented yet, but others in the Homework Helper's forum indicated that they've seen way too much of them.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have the opposite problem - the "agreement" keeps showing up when navigating to a different area - even if I've already been there and already agreed to it! I think I've agreed about 8 times already in the last half hour or so.

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    I admit I've had to agree twice to the global agreement, but since then it is fine. Is anyone else having this problem?

5. Oct 12, 2005 #4
    I have yet to see anything also.

6. Oct 12, 2005 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

It says in you profile you've agreed with Forums Global Guidelines and Philosophy Forums Guidelines!:smile: So you'll never see any of them. Perhaps they're only for misbehaved members like me. And base on what I said, Greg is even...:uhh: :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  7. Oct 12, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks to Lisa! for pointing out they're in your user profile. :smile:

So, if for some reason you haven't seen them, or want to refresh your memory on them, look in your user profile and it shows what you supposedly have agreed to. Click on the link and you can read the guidelines again (or for the first time).

8. Oct 12, 2005 #7

Diane_

Homework Helper

OK, I'm feeling stupid. I've looked in my profile and I don't see anything there about the guidelines - no agreements, no links, nothing. Would someone be kind enough to check for me and tell me if I'm right that there's nothing there or if I'm just not looking in the right place? If the latter, if you could let me know where to look I'd appreciate it.

I don't suppose this is a major problem, as I have no intention of violating the forum guidelines, but it bugs me that I can't figure out what's going on.

9. Oct 12, 2005 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

Yes, it says you've agreed. It's the left of page under your name.

Diane Agreed rules

10. Oct 12, 2005 #9

Diane_

Homework Helper

Thank you, Lisa!. This is just plain weird. I looked again - there's nothing there. I copied the top of the page: let's see if I can paste it:

Diane_
    Last Activity: Today 01:43 PM
    Warn: (0%)
    Viewing Thread Guidelines not showing up @ 01:43 PM

Add Diane_ to Your Buddy List Add Diane_ to Your Ignore List

And that's all that shows up. It's also odd, as the only time I agreed to the rules was back in April of 2004 when I first joined.

I guess I won't worry about it. Well, that's a lie - it's still going to bug me. But I guess I'll shut up about it. :)

Edit: Out of curiosity, I looked. I'm not seeing it on your profile, either.

Argh! Let it go, Diane.

11. Oct 12, 2005 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Diane, click on your name and it will take you to your Public Profile page. you'll see it there.

12. Oct 12, 2005 #11

Diane_

Homework Helper

Thank you, Evo. That's what I've been doing. Clearly, I've offended the forum gods, and they've decided to make me feel like a doofus. :)

Well, it's not the first time.

13. Oct 12, 2005 #12

Lisa!

Gold Member

Yeah, they're in my profile too, but under them on the left side it's said:

Forum Info:

Agreed rules

14. Oct 12, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

PostsTotal Posts: 252 (0.47 posts per day)

Find all posts by Diane_
    Find all threads started by Diane_

Agreed Rules
    Diane_ has agreed to the following rule(s):
    Physics Forums Global Guidelines
    Independent Research Guidelines

Referrals: 0
    User Notes:

I copied and pasted that from your profile Diane, that's weird that you can't see it.

15. Oct 12, 2005 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Diane, have you tried clearing your browser cache ?

16. Oct 12, 2005 #15

Diane_

Homework Helper

No - I didn't think that was an issue, since I never visited some of those forums until last night, but I'll give it a try.

Edit: No soap. But a good suggestion, anyway.

17. Oct 12, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What operating system and browser are you using? We should find out if this is another browser issue. Do you have an alternative browser other than the one you've been using here that you can try?

18. Oct 12, 2005 #17

Diane_

Homework Helper

OS - WinXP Home, SP2
    Browser - IE6

I keep Firefox on my laptop - I can try that, but it'll be tomorrow before I get a chance to. I'll keep you updated.

19. Oct 12, 2005 #18
    Close your browser and reopen to a blank page and type in https://www.physicsforums.com/index.php into the address bar and press enter.

20. Oct 12, 2005 #19
    ummm I don't see anything in my profile, and I have cleared my cache on that page.

Here is a screenshot of what I see: http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/2760/pfprofile3st.png

Firefox Beta 1, Windows xp.

edit... I clicked on Greg's link and I got the guidelines :smile: And it shows up in my profile too :smile:

21. Oct 13, 2005 #20

Diane_

Homework Helper

That seems to have done it. At least, I'm seeing a section called "agreed rules" in my profile now. It only shows the global rules at the moment, but that's a sight better than it was before. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?