Why Aren't the Forum Guidelines Showing Up?

• Thread starter Diane_
  • Start date
In summary, members are discussing issues with the forum guidelines not showing up for some users and others having to agree multiple times. Some users have found the guidelines in their profile, while others cannot see it. One user suggests clearing the browser cache, but it does not work. It is suggested that it may be a browser issue and further information is needed from Diane about her operating system and browser.
Diane_
Homework Helper
My apologies if I should've added this to another thread. I've posted three or four times already and I haven't seen hide nor hair of the forum guidelines. I was assuming that they hadn't been implemented yet, but others in the Homework Helper's forum indicated that they've seen way too much of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the opposite problem - the "agreement" keeps showing up when navigating to a different area - even if I've already been there and already agreed to it! I think I've agreed about 8 times already in the last half hour or so.

Tide said:
I have the opposite problem - the "agreement" keeps showing up when navigating to a different area - even if I've already been there and already agreed to it! I think I've agreed about 8 times already in the last half hour or so.

I admit I've had to agree twice to the global agreement, but since then it is fine. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have yet to see anything also.

mattmns said:
It says in you profile you've agreed with Forums Global Guidelines and Philosophy Forums Guidelines!:smile: So you'll never see any of them. Perhaps they're only for misbehaved members like me. And base on what I said, Greg is even...:uhh: :biggrin:

Last edited:
mattmns said:
Thanks to Lisa! for pointing out they're in your user profile. :smile:

So, if for some reason you haven't seen them, or want to refresh your memory on them, look in your user profile and it shows what you supposedly have agreed to. Click on the link and you can read the guidelines again (or for the first time).

OK, I'm feeling stupid. I've looked in my profile and I don't see anything there about the guidelines - no agreements, no links, nothing. Would someone be kind enough to check for me and tell me if I'm right that there's nothing there or if I'm just not looking in the right place? If the latter, if you could let me know where to look I'd appreciate it.

I don't suppose this is a major problem, as I have no intention of violating the forum guidelines, but it bugs me that I can't figure out what's going on.

Yes, it says you've agreed. It's the left of page under your name.

Diane Agreed rules

Thank you, Lisa!. This is just plain weird. I looked again - there's nothing there. I copied the top of the page: let's see if I can paste it:

Diane_
Last Activity: Today 01:43 PM
Warn: (0%)
Viewing Thread Guidelines not showing up @ 01:43 PM

Add Diane_ to Your Buddy List Add Diane_ to Your Ignore List

And that's all that shows up. It's also odd, as the only time I agreed to the rules was back in April of 2004 when I first joined.

I guess I won't worry about it. Well, that's a lie - it's still going to bug me. But I guess I'll shut up about it. :)

Edit: Out of curiosity, I looked. I'm not seeing it on your profile, either.

Argh! Let it go, Diane.

Diane_ said:
Thank you, Lisa!. This is just plain weird. I looked again - there's nothing there. I copied the top of the page: let's see if I can paste it:
Diane_
And that's all that shows up. It's also odd, as the only time I agreed to the rules was back in April of 2004 when I first joined.
I guess I won't worry about it. Well, that's a lie - it's still going to bug me. But I guess I'll shut up about it. :)
Diane, click on your name and it will take you to your Public Profile page. you'll see it there.

Thank you, Evo. That's what I've been doing. Clearly, I've offended the forum gods, and they've decided to make me feel like a doofus. :)

Well, it's not the first time.

Diane_ said:
Diane_
Edit: Out of curiosity, I looked. I'm not seeing it on your profile, either.
Argh! Let it go, Diane.
Yeah, they're in my profile too, but under them on the left side it's said:

Forum Info:

Agreed rules

PostsTotal Posts: 252 (0.47 posts per day)

Find all posts by Diane_
Find all threads started by Diane_

Agreed Rules
Diane_ has agreed to the following rule(s):
Physics Forums Global Guidelines
Independent Research Guidelines

Referrals: 0
User Notes:

I copied and pasted that from your profile Diane, that's weird that you can't see it.

Diane, have you tried clearing your browser cache ?

No - I didn't think that was an issue, since I never visited some of those forums until last night, but I'll give it a try.

Edit: No soap. But a good suggestion, anyway.

Last edited:
What operating system and browser are you using? We should find out if this is another browser issue. Do you have an alternative browser other than the one you've been using here that you can try?

OS - WinXP Home, SP2
Browser - IE6

I keep Firefox on my laptop - I can try that, but it'll be tomorrow before I get a chance to. I'll keep you updated.

Diane_ said:
OS - WinXP Home, SP2
Browser - IE6
I keep Firefox on my laptop - I can try that, but it'll be tomorrow before I get a chance to. I'll keep you updated.

Close your browser and reopen to a blank page and type in https://www.physicsforums.com/index.php into the address bar and press enter.

ummm I don't see anything in my profile, and I have cleared my cache on that page.

Here is a screenshot of what I see: http://img417.imageshack.us/img417/2760/pfprofile3st.png

Firefox Beta 1, Windows xp.edit... I clicked on Greg's link and I got the guidelines :smile: And it shows up in my profile too :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Close your browser and reopen to a blank page and type in https://www.physicsforums.com/index.php into the address bar and press enter.

That seems to have done it. At least, I'm seeing a section called "agreed rules" in my profile now. It only shows the global rules at the moment, but that's a sight better than it was before. Thanks!

I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but even though Greg's suggestion got me the "General Physics Forums" guidelines, I'm still not seeing any of the specific ones. Given the responses from earlier posters, I take it that I've agreed to specific guidelines in other forums, although I never saw them and they aren't showing up for me in my profile. For what it's worth, I did try it out with Firefox last night - it showed up exactly the same as with IE.

This seems to imply (to me, anyway) that there's a bug somewhere. It really doesn't matter to me, as it doesn't stop me from posting pretty much anywhere I like. Besides, if you tell me I've violated the forum guidelines somewhere, I'm not going to claim "But I never saw them!". However, if it's working this way for me, it seems reasonable to assume it's working this way for others, and they may not all be Paragons of Sweet Reason like myself.

Anyway - consider this just an FYI post. If I can do anything to help resolve it, assuming you feel it needs resolving, let me know.

There are only two forums (as far as I know) that have specific guidelines in addition to the general ones: Philosophy, and Independent Research. If you've been in those and have not gotten additional guidelines, then you're right, something is wrong there. But, if you haven't been in those two forums yet, then there were no other specific ones for you to see.

There is another known bug related to the guidelines that Greg is working on.

In the forums that have specific policies, they are posted as sticky threads in them, so you can still view them if you haven't gotten the agreement to check off.

I have been to the Independent Research forum, although I haven't posted anything there. That was one of them that (I think it was) Lisa! said was showing up in my profile. I went back just now, and still didn't see anything. However, I made a quick visit to the Philosophy forum and got the posting guidelines right off the bat.

I'll let you try to figure out what that means. :)

Thanks.

Diane_ said:
I have been to the Independent Research forum, although I haven't posted anything there. That was one of them that (I think it was) Lisa! said was showing up in my profile. I went back just now, and still didn't see anything. However, I made a quick visit to the Philosophy forum and got the posting guidelines right off the bat.
I'll let you try to figure out what that means. :)
Thanks.
I didn't post anything, but I saw that when I click on "IR forum".Although I myself didn't know it is 1 of those forums that we should agree with its. Anyway I think you don't need to be worried about that. As I said before, only misbehaved member should agree with rules again.:tongue:

1. Why aren't the forum guidelines showing up when I visit the forum?

There could be several reasons why the forum guidelines are not showing up. One possibility is that they have been removed or hidden by the forum administrator. Another reason could be that there is a technical issue with the forum software or server. It is also possible that the guidelines are only visible to registered users and you are not logged in. Lastly, it is possible that the guidelines are not showing up due to a browser or device compatibility issue.

2. How can I access the forum guidelines if they are not showing up?

If the forum guidelines are not showing up, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies and refreshing the page. You can also try accessing the forum from a different browser or device. If you are still unable to see the guidelines, you can reach out to the forum administrator for assistance.

3. Are the forum guidelines necessary to follow?

It is highly recommended to follow the forum guidelines as they help maintain a healthy and respectful community. These guidelines are put in place to ensure that all members can have a positive and productive experience on the forum.

4. Can I suggest changes to the forum guidelines?

If you have suggestions for changes to the forum guidelines, you can reach out to the forum administrator or moderators. They will review your suggestions and make any necessary updates to the guidelines.

5. Are there consequences for not following the forum guidelines?

Yes, there may be consequences for not following the forum guidelines. These consequences could include a warning or temporary ban from the forum. Repeated or severe violations of the guidelines could result in a permanent ban from the forum. It is important to familiarize yourself with the guidelines and adhere to them to avoid any consequences.