Understanding Electric Guitar Pickups: How They Work

In summary: Pickups are based on Lenz's law. You have a permanent magnet with a few thousand turns of wire around it. This creates an inductor. When you play the guitar, the string starts oscillating and this creates an alternating emf. This emf induces another emf in the coils of the pickup and that's where you get your signal. The number of turns and the type of pickup affect the frequency response (harmonics etc) of the inductor and you get your basic guitar signal.If the pickups are humbuckers, there's a noise cancellation effect that happens which also boosts (doubles) the amplitude of the original signal. This is why humbuckers are usually 'hotter' than
AfRoMaNn
how exactly does electric guitar pick ups work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's based on Lenz's law. Now, I may be wrong in some of this as I've figured this much out on my own, but in the pick up itself, you have a permanent magnet. This magnet has a couple of thousand turns of wire around it, so basically its an inductor.

The emf generated in an inductor in terms of electric flux is -ndx/dt where x=flux. So, when you move the guitar string (pick it), the string starts oscillating at the frequency of the note that's playing. Since this string is vibrating where the magnetic flux of the permanent magnet is present, and emf gets induced in it. The frequency of this alternating emf is equal to the frequency of vibration of the string.

This alternating emf induces another emf in the coils of the pick up which is where you get your signal from. The number of turns and the type of pick up thus effects the frequency response (harmonics etc) of the inductor (coils around the magnet) and you get your basic guitar signal.

Now, if the pick ups are humbuckers, there's a noise cancellation effect that happens which also boosts (doubles) the amplitude of the original signal. This is why humbuckers are usually 'hotter' than single coils.

And (I'm sort of rambling now; I play the guitar and I'm doing a project on analog effects), the fabled EMG preamp circuit sort of evens out the frequency response which is why active pick ups have a much 'flatter' sound than the passives.

There are other, much much more accomplished people on this forum who have a significantly better understanding of signal analysis than I do. If there are irregularities in my description of how pick ups work, I'd be thank ful if they pointed them out.

AfRoMaNn said:
how exactly does electric guitar pick ups work?

Hi AfRoMaNn

I was a guitarist for many years. I am in the Strat-Talk forum under "pickup furum":

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/pickup-forum/

My user name is ALAN0354. We talk a lot on different pups. This and the Strat-Talk are my most frequent forums. I actually met one of the pup winder called D Allen and talked about a new concept on noiseless single coil pup for Strat.

1. What is the function of an electric guitar pickup?

An electric guitar pickup is a device that converts the vibrations of the guitar strings into electrical signals, which are then transmitted to an amplifier. This allows the sound of the guitar to be amplified and heard by the listener.

2. How do electric guitar pickups work?

Electric guitar pickups use the principle of electromagnetism to work. When the metal strings of the guitar vibrate, they create a magnetic field which is then picked up by the magnetized coils in the pickup. This creates an electrical current which is then sent to the amplifier.

3. What is the difference between single coil and humbucker pickups?

Single coil pickups have one magnetized coil, while humbucker pickups have two coils that are wired in opposite directions. This cancels out the humming sound (hence the name "humbucker") and produces a thicker, warmer sound compared to single coil pickups.

4. How do different types of pickups affect the sound of an electric guitar?

The type of pickup used can greatly affect the sound of an electric guitar. Single coil pickups tend to have a brighter, twangier sound, while humbucker pickups have a thicker, warmer sound. Additionally, the placement of the pickup on the guitar can also affect the tone and sound of the instrument.

5. Can electric guitar pickups be replaced or upgraded?

Yes, electric guitar pickups can be replaced or upgraded. This allows guitar players to customize their sound and find the perfect tone for their playing style. It is important to choose pickups that are compatible with the guitar and to have them installed by a professional for optimal sound quality.