1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guitar string standing wave

1. Dec 1, 2006 #1
    A nylon guitar string has a linear density of 9.0 g/m and is under a tension of 180.0 N. The fixed supports are L = 80.0 cm apart. The string is oscillating in the standing wave pattern shown in the figure. Calculate the speed of the traveling waves whose superposition gives this standing wave. (m/s)

The speed I calculated to be v=sqrt(T/u) = 141 m/s and I know this is right

Calculate the wavelength of the traveling waves whose superposition gives this standing wave. (m)

There are several equations I have been looking at to try and figure out the wavelength. v=lambda(f) but I don't have f.
    k=2pi/lambda but I don't have k. I thought that maybe 0.8m would be considered x and use a sinusoidal equation but I still am lacking the amplitude and w. I just need some guidance on this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You can figure out the wavelength by studying the pattern. Hint: Count the nodes/antinodes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?