Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gulf experiment seeks to explain the Bermuda Triangle

1. Aug 4, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2003 #2
    Nothing to explain in the Bermuda Triangle. There are no more missing vessels there then any other body of water with the same traffic.

4. Aug 4, 2003 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

Yes; sinking ships and sucking writers. This is not at all a new idea (as the artical says). Floating objects that pass over water that is bubbling sink, this is already well known. The BBC and Discovery Channel say they have broken new ground by doing it at sea, but I think they've pretty much just filmed a really cool-looking sp effect that will draw in viewers.

Living in the "Great Lakes Triangle", I have allways had an interest in "unexplaind" dissapearences of ships & planes. Per square mile, we have more of these than the Bermuda triangle. I used to think something could be made of the fact that the Agonic Line runs through both. Now I just think that, as a wise Freak once said, there's "nothing to explain".

5. Aug 8, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just a thought...

Remember this one?
    Sonic boom? Earthquake? Big bang theories abound

http://www.charleston.net/stories/080203/loc_02boom.shtml

At first I was thinking this was a classified aircraft test; but then I noticed this:

"So what's left? One theory batted around was that it could be "Seneca Guns," a folk explanation used to describe unexplained booms often associated with the coast of North Carolina. Such booms have been experienced in North America since before the Age of Flight, some as early as the 18th century."

Could this be related to the hypothesis that huge gas emissions result from exposed layers of methelhydrate [I think this is the correct form suggested for this].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?