Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gumby's creator dead at 88

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/11/arts/television/11clokey.html

Who had a rubber Gumby and Pokey set?

I remember getting up early Sunday mornings and watching Davey and Goliath. I never really liked the show [it was religion-based and I already went to church six days a week!] but watching it was about all that I could do that early in the morning without making noise. Gumby was cool but I have no idea why.

[Rubber Pokey jokes barely avoided...]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Who didn't have a rubber Gumby and Pokey?

I don't know anyone that actually liked the show, but there was nothing else to watch back then.

RIP Art Clokey.

4. Jan 11, 2010 #3
    This was before the advent of television and electricity, right? :devil:

5. Jan 11, 2010 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, but well before you were born. It was at least fifteen years ago.

6. Jan 12, 2010 #5
    I still have a Davey and Goliath Advent calender. I don't recall ever liking the show, but if we were to sick to go to church, we had to watch the show.
    I'm sure Art Clokey saved my soul. RIP

7. Jan 12, 2010 #6
    I even had the Gumby and Pokey board game where the tokens you moved around the board were miniature Gumbys and Pokeys in different colours and you could sit Gumby on Pokey's back. What was that show about, again, anyway?

8. Jan 12, 2010 #7
    I thought Gumby was great.

My favorite episodes were A.) the one with the robots, and B.) the one with the Hopi Indians

9. Jan 12, 2010 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course, plenty at YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5AD32D3Dyk

10. Jan 15, 2010 #9

Glad you asked that question! Gumby had this ability to sort of "phase" through books (stories); where he would then interact with the characters.

I've always loved clay-mations, so Gumby was pretty cool to me.

Eddie Murphy as Gumby was pretty funny too...

gumby_l.jpg

"I'm Gumby dammit!"

11. Jan 15, 2010 #10
    That's it! I'd forgotten that that's what he did, enter into books. I liked Gumby and Pokey as toys and the teevee show. I think I chewed on my Gumby's feet whole bunch, though. But yes, thank you for the memory refresh. :smile:

12. Jan 15, 2010 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I didn't have many toys as a kid, but Gumby and Pokey would not have been high on my Christmas list, at any rate. The show was a real bore. Our next-door neighbors' kids used to play with Mr. Potato Head, and I never understood the fascination there, either.

13. Jan 15, 2010 #12
    lol - ya - I remember them. I had a pair of them at some point in my childhood.
    Looking back, I just can't help seeing them as some serious 'religious orientation' tv.

14. Jan 15, 2010 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That was definitely true with Davey and Goliath, but Gumby? Really? I don't remember the show having any particular religious connotation.

15. Jan 16, 2010 #14
    Opps - my mistake. I mixed up the names. You are correct, Davey and Goliath were the religious ones, not the Gumby.

16. Jan 16, 2010 #15

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Gumby!
    He was once a little green slab of clay.
    Gumby!
    You should see what Gumby can do today.
    He can walk into many books
    With his pony pal Pokey too.
    If you've got a heart, then Gumby's a part of you.

17. Jan 16, 2010 #16
    I hear that Gumby got rubbed out.

18. Jan 16, 2010 #17
    Of course our Mr Potato Head only came with body parts, we has to supply our own potato. Cootie was another thing I just didn't understand.

19. Jan 16, 2010 #18

turbo

Gold Member

My sisters and I got Cootie from an aunt. I think we played the game once. It's purely a matter of chance which body part you can get on your turn, so being the first to assemble a complete Cootie was not real rewarding - just luck.

20. Jan 16, 2010 #19

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I vaguely remember Cootie from when I was maybe 4 years old. Too young to follow any rules, so to me it was just a toy that I could play with.

Hmmm, I wonder what other random memories are waiting to be dredged up.

21. Jan 16, 2010 #20
    I remember the Rube Goldberg take-off "Mousetrap" game that was more fun to build and operate than actually play.

22. Jan 16, 2010 #21
    boooooooo! :)

23. Jan 16, 2010 #22
    Kerplunk, anyone?

ETA: I loved Mr. Potatohead! My parents refused to buy one for my sister and me, but I played with it at friends' places. Loved, loved, loved.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  24. Jan 16, 2010 #23

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My Favorite was the game of life. you got to choose going to college or fast tracking as a non-skilled laborer.

You got married, had kids, got too many kids and had to get a second car to carry all of the kids. Bought a house, got jobs, promotions, won the lottery.

Ah, those were the days.

Who had a "mystery date" game? "Will he be a dream <ahhh>, or a "dud"? <iggggh>

25. Jan 16, 2010 #24

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I liked playing Life, Monopoly, Mousetrap, Battleship, Doctor...

26. Jan 16, 2010 #25
    Battleship!

And, when you think about it, The Game of Life was kinda creepy, was it not?

I had a fascination for Clue until I figured out the trick to winning. But I still liked all of the accessories that came with it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook