Gun, Bull's eye, and Gravity

In summary, when aiming a gun to hit a target, aiming slightly lower than the target's distance will result in the bullet landing slightly above the target.
oblivinated
Any help or simply reasons why my answer is incorrect would help greatly, thanks!

Question:

A projectile is fired from a horizontal spring-loaded gun aimed directly (along the line of sight) at a distant bull’s eye. Because of the pull of gravity during flight, the projectile misses and hits a point at a distance y beneath the bull’s eye. To hit the bull’s eye, the gun should be aimed along a line of sight above the bull’s eye, a vertical distance……

http://oblivinated.staticcling.org/files/Images/PhysicsImage.gif

a) of y, exactly.
b) slightly higher than y.
c) slightly lower than y.

My Answer:

c) slightly lower than y
At first this may seem counter intuitive, however, given the very nature at aiming lower despite having to travel farther. However, given the fact that bullets fired from a gun travel at amazing speeds, aiming slightly lower than y will produce the best results. First off, by aiming above the bull’s eye and firing, I am creating two vectors: one horizontal vector and one vertical vector. The horizontal vector will carry the bullet towards the bull’s eye, while the vertical vector should give it enough distance to drop into the bull’s eye. HOWEVER, since there is now a vertical upward vector, it will reduce the vertical downward vector (gravity), WHICH MEANS that it will not drop the full distance of y. It will land slightly above the bull’s eye. Therefore, to counter the effects of hitting slightly above, you must aim slightly lower than the distance of y. The below figure should clarify things:

My Dilemma:

The reason I am asking is because I do not agree with the answer my physics professor provided (which, by the way, was b). However, I am skeptical about arguing with him. I was just hoping to see what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
b is correct.

The initial upward componant of the bullet's velocity does not affect the constant downward acceleration due to gravity (one's a velocity, one's an acceleration, they don't add).

Since you must aim upward, there will be less horizontal velocity, therefore it will take more time for the bullet to get to the plane of the target. The bullet will now have more time to drop away from the straight line path along which it was aimed.

Also, keep in mind that this problem assumes ideal conditions (no effects from air resistance). The high speed of a bullet earns no special treatment.

Thanks, you guys are awesome ^_^.

1. What is a gun's bull's eye?

A gun's bull's eye is the central target on a shooting range or target practice area. It is typically circular and marked with concentric circles to help shooters aim at a specific point.

2. How does a gun's bull's eye help with aiming?

The bull's eye serves as a visual guide for shooters to aim at a specific point. The concentric circles help shooters adjust their aim and aim for a smaller and more precise target.

3. What role does gravity play in shooting at a bull's eye?

Gravity affects the trajectory of a bullet as it travels towards the bull's eye. As the bullet travels, it is pulled towards the ground due to the force of gravity, causing it to drop from its initial path. Shooters must account for gravity when aiming at a bull's eye to ensure accuracy.

4. How does a gun's recoil affect shooting at a bull's eye?

A gun's recoil is the backward movement of the gun when it is fired. This recoil can affect a shooter's aim and cause the bullet to deviate from its intended path. Shooters must learn to anticipate and control the recoil to maintain accuracy when shooting at a bull's eye.

5. What are some factors that can affect shooting at a bull's eye?

Aside from gravity and gun recoil, other factors that can affect shooting at a bull's eye include wind speed and direction, distance from the target, and the shooter's skill level and technique. These variables can make it challenging to consistently hit a bull's eye and require practice and precision to achieve accuracy.