Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gun question

1. May 4, 2007 #1
    I am trying to remember the rumor I heard about a new gun shooting design in one of my ap physics class discussions, do you guys now of any new breakthrough designs?

anyway i think it has to do with the reloading mechanism. (I know I have asked a question of this type before, so if i sound stupid, please bear with me and at least just answer my question) If the recoil of a shooting bullet were to exert force on a wheel, would the result be EXACTLY the same as a regular gun? thanx for reading
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "exert a force on a wheel"? What wheel are you talking about? You will have to be more specific!
  4. May 4, 2007 #3
    Recoil exerting force on a wheel? Sounds like a just an old semi-automatic revolver. A newer idea is something like electronic triggering (think the product is called metal storm), or electromagnetic firing (like the railguns intended for Navy vessels).
  5. May 4, 2007 #4

Gold Member

Actually, I'm rather worried that he's referring to some stupid thing that we spent 20 pages debunking in one of the engineering threads. I can't even remember what it's called, but we determined that it would have to be powered by a jet engine and would tear itself to pieces within a couple of seconds.
  6. May 6, 2007 #5
    to cesiumfrog: Well, I am not asking about the actual performance of the shot, just the reloading process. If you think of the revolver as perpendicular (bullet--reloader wheel), I am trying to ask about a parallel design so that the bullet recoil is oriented on the finned wheel in such a way that its recoil will spin it.

to Danger: jet engine? tear itself to pieces? eh? It was actually related to a question I had in this same section, Classical Physics. What is your tennis court quote referencing?
  7. May 6, 2007 #6

Gold Member

8. May 6, 2007 #7
    A very practical "electric gun" I've seen involved a rotor sandwiched between engraved tracks. Once it spins up, ball bearings introduced near the axis are flung out and hence fired forward. But the design has intrinsic problems: necessarilly spherical projectiles (the aerodynamics of which will limit accuracy) and an effective flywheel (difficulty reorientating a spinning gyroscope will further limit aiming). The DREAD thing looks similar at first glance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?