1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gun question

1. May 4, 2007 #1
    I am trying to remember the rumor I heard about a new gun shooting design in one of my ap physics class discussions, do you guys now of any new breakthrough designs?

anyway i think it has to do with the reloading mechanism. (I know I have asked a question of this type before, so if i sound stupid, please bear with me and at least just answer my question) If the recoil of a shooting bullet were to exert force on a wheel, would the result be EXACTLY the same as a regular gun? thanx for reading

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "exert a force on a wheel"? What wheel are you talking about? You will have to be more specific!

4. May 4, 2007 #3
    Recoil exerting force on a wheel? Sounds like a just an old semi-automatic revolver. A newer idea is something like electronic triggering (think the product is called metal storm), or electromagnetic firing (like the railguns intended for Navy vessels).

5. May 4, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Actually, I'm rather worried that he's referring to some stupid thing that we spent 20 pages debunking in one of the engineering threads. I can't even remember what it's called, but we determined that it would have to be powered by a jet engine and would tear itself to pieces within a couple of seconds.

6. May 6, 2007 #5
    to cesiumfrog: Well, I am not asking about the actual performance of the shot, just the reloading process. If you think of the revolver as perpendicular (bullet--reloader wheel), I am trying to ask about a parallel design so that the bullet recoil is oriented on the finned wheel in such a way that its recoil will spin it.

to Danger: jet engine? tear itself to pieces? eh? It was actually related to a question I had in this same section, Classical Physics. What is your tennis court quote referencing?

7. May 6, 2007 #6

Danger

Gold Member

8. May 6, 2007 #7
    A very practical "electric gun" I've seen involved a rotor sandwiched between engraved tracks. Once it spins up, ball bearings introduced near the axis are flung out and hence fired forward. But the design has intrinsic problems: necessarilly spherical projectiles (the aerodynamics of which will limit accuracy) and an effective flywheel (difficulty reorientating a spinning gyroscope will further limit aiming). The DREAD thing looks similar at first glance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?