How Many G-Units Did Colonel John P. Stapp Experience Stopping His Rocket Sled?

In summary, Colonel John P. Stapp set a world's land speed record in March 1954 by riding a rocket-propelled sled at 1020 km/h and stopping in 1.4 seconds. To find his acceleration in g units, we need to use the formula a = (vf-vo)/t and convert the answer using the conversion factor 1g = 9.81 m/s^2.
baylayA
A world's land speed record was set by Colonel John P. Stapp when in March 1954 he rode a rocket-propelled sled that moved along a track at 1020 km/h. He and the sled were brought to a stop in 1.4 s. In g units, what acceleration did he experience while stopping?

Physics news on Phys.org
Im pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) but this forum is for help on a question not the answer, what exactly are u struggling with?

I don't know what formula to use

What are your givens and your requirements. Writing those down makes finding the correct formula to use easier

i have km/hr of how fast he was moving and how many seconds it took for him to stop and i need to find G units of his acceleration while he was stopping.

okay so you have time, and velocity and your looking for acceleration. But Velocity can be split into V1(Initial) and V2(Final) so what was his initial velocity and final velocity?

That is the only velocity given so I'm not sure.

Well Hes starting with a speed and he's comming to a stop.

oh so it's original and then 0 is the final?

Thats right. so you have v1, v2, and t, and your looking for acceleration so what formula has all of those variables in it

a= vf-vo
_____
t

thank you!

but how do you get it into G units?

anytime, Glad i could help, don't forget to convert to g's, the conversion factor is:
1g = 9.81 m/s^2

basically 1g is the acceleration of gravity

1. What is a "Gunit" of acceleration?

A "Gunit" is a unit of measurement for acceleration, specifically gravitational acceleration. It is equal to the acceleration experienced by an object due to Earth's gravitational force, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How does a "Gunit" compare to other units of acceleration?

A "Gunit" is equivalent to 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) or 32.2 feet per second squared (ft/s²). It is also equal to 1 "standard gravity" or 1 "g-force". However, it is important to note that this value may vary slightly depending on the location and altitude on Earth.

3. Why is the term "Gunit" used instead of other units of acceleration?

The term "Gunit" is commonly used in the field of physics and engineering, particularly in the aerospace industry. It is a more specific and standardized way of referring to gravitational acceleration, which can vary depending on location and altitude.

4. How is a "Gunit" measured?

A "Gunit" can be measured using various instruments such as accelerometers or by using mathematical equations. For example, the formula a = F/m can be used to calculate acceleration, where "a" is acceleration, "F" is force, and "m" is mass.

5. Is a "Gunit" only applicable on Earth?

No, a "Gunit" is a unit of measurement for gravitational acceleration and can be applied to any object or planet with a significant gravitational force. However, the value of 9.8 m/s² is specific to Earth's gravitational force and may vary on other celestial bodies.